Why is it that....

Answered!
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Why is it that....

.....some people here in the forum only have their "view profile" or "view Airbnb profile" buttons visible, but not the "send message" buttons on either screen?

Was that something we set up when we registered? I don't remember it.... Sometimes it's just a bit frustrating when people who post never come back, or never check the answers they received. Makes me wonder if they didn't get notified that there is an nswer, or they missed clicking the "send me an email if someone replies" button below, or they don't care.... (Not that I would want to send them a message then, but it is what made me curious about the message buttons...)

1 Best Answer
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Annette33,

Good detective work!! The reason the 'send message' button doesn't show for some community members is because they are guests, as you suggested. The direct messaging feature is only for hosts to message each other and admins (like me and Lizzie). 

I hope that does solve the issue, I understand it's frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of it!

Kirstie

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Annette33, the Send Message pops up when you hover over a person's profile pic.  This method of communicating allows for private, non-community messaging.  And yes, there is a box to click on community discussions that says:  Email me when somebody replies. 

So if you respond to this comment, I will get an email whether the comment was addresses to me or not. 

As you can imagine, I get a lot of these emails!

@Clare0 , but with some people here, the "send message" button does NOT pop up - that's what I wondered about, why....

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I'm not positive, but I *believe* you have to had a certain number of posts before your inbox is "activated."

@Cynthia-and-Chris1 , so I just tested your theory - and  found that it cannot be the answer after all 😞

on one post where I participated there is one person, level 1, with only 1 post - and messaging is possible ! (while right next to it, next post, there is the same scenario, a level 1 person with 1 post and messaging is not possible) .  so I guess I'm back to square one... 

@Annette33@Cynthia-and-Chris1  Sheesh! I should have known that my friend David made a help guide on this... and I even participated with helping him (with an old profile pic!).  People can opt in or out of receiving private messages: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Direct-Messaging-on-the-Community-Center-A-Community-Help-Guid...

Getting old and my memory is fading!!

thanx  @Clare0 , and I sure love Deb and Dave's posts, no doubt - but just read my question above  carefully:  it's not about how to message and where the button is,  it is why for some people the message button shows, but not for others. perhaps you have not come across that  discrepancy yet. also, as Airbnb constantly changes their platform, then some answers , (like the one you referenced,) that once were perfectly clear, seem to be outdated because Airbnb has changed the format. O well, it's not that important, thanks again for trying to help.

@Annette33 Well, there you go...I have a sieve for a brain.  But if you go to your profile, you can select if you want to receive emails from other people.  

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile%3Aemail

I have this unchecked, so my guess is that anyone can send me a private email. 

Thanks for pushing forward on this! I mean it!

@Clare0, yes, that makes perfect sense regarding the emails, I am with you on that. It just doesn't explain why the messaging button we were discussing is there for most people, but not for all. Cheers, I give up...some things on Airbnb shall forever remain a mystery....

@Annette33 Yep, on this one I'm willing to let it go as a mystery.  Other things not so much!

Cheers!

Hi @Annette33 I think I may have the answer to your question. When you go to your account,Text Message Settings, there is a box you can tick to allow messages from hosts and guests. Some people may not have this box ticked. Do you think that might be it? - Karen

o wow!! i think we're getting closer now, this makes the most sense yet! first class detective badge to you!

still wondering though, as believe it or not, I had no text messaging on my phone and app until last week , yet could and had messaging available here in the forum and in the Airbnb messaging system long before.

@Annette33,it only shows when you are logged in to the community center.  If I am just looking at posts then I do not get the send message box.  But if I decide to respond to a post, I must log in and then the send message box is visible.

nope. @Jennifer178 , I am logged in. I noticed that issue when I was on this page: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Change-Price-Number-of-Guests-Check-in-or-Check-out-Dates-A/m-... and I had looked at Sheryl's profile and noticed that one couldn't message her, same on her Airbnb profile page, no message button. But like I said before, it's really not that important, I was just curious why some people don't have an inbox, and I didn't think it was anything we could control or set up that way. Thanks, anyways 🙂

Now I have this idea: This woman is a guest, not a host! Maybe that is it! ?? what do you think? but she is in the forum, had to be logged in and signed up as a community member... o well, I guess I give up...

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Annette33,

Good detective work!! The reason the 'send message' button doesn't show for some community members is because they are guests, as you suggested. The direct messaging feature is only for hosts to message each other and admins (like me and Lizzie). 

I hope that does solve the issue, I understand it's frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of it!

Kirstie