airbnb customer care

Lauren259
Level 2
Longmont, CO

airbnb customer care

I had a guest reserve my studio airbnb for 25 nights.  She cancelled the reservation after one night.  No explanation.  Three weeks after the date of cancellation, airbnb notified me that she requested a refund.  (I was able to rebook for some of the time, but had to alter my personal vacation plans as a result).  I asked the reason for the cancellation and whether airbnb was refunding the service charge, and, more importantly, why I should refund it after 3 weeks (I equated that to sending back one bite of dinner and asking for a refund). So then airbnb pulled out the "inaccurate listing" card, as it was suggested that I change my listing from "entire space" to "private room."  (I've had the same guest suite/listing for 3+ years as Superhost). My guest studio has private entrance, private backdoor to private patio, bathroom, washer/dryer and full kitchen.  The customer service person at airbnb claims that "entire space" means that guests should have access to my entire house (which is adjacent, and through two doors).  My interpretation is that "entire space" means that the place they are staying is self contained, NOT that they will have access to my entire  private home.  Thoughts? similar situations?  Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lauren259 This is absurd and I agree with you that entire, private space does not mean whole house. You are renting an "Entire Guest Suite" and this guest obviously didn't read your listing. If this CS rep has issues with this, then she can talk to Airbnb herself about changing the listing categories. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lauren259   I have seen the type of listing as "entire guest suite" when the guest is not in a stand alone home.  I have no idea how a host is able to select that listing type, but when I look up the description of the types, I found this:  "Hosts should note in the description if they'll be on the property (ex: "Host occupies first floor of the home")"  Perhaps that is the issue with your listing in the mind of the CS.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 9.55.34 PM.png

exactly as you have provided: secondary unit, guest suite and entire place. The customer service rep suggested that either I change it to "private room" or open up my home (adjacent) to allow my guests access to the entire space?  All of the private rooms i have stayed in (airbnb) have been rooms within the host's home and can not be accessed separately. 

@Lauren259 @Emilia42 @Linda108 

So dumb. Escalate to try to find a CS rep with some kind of clue. Ask why it is possible to list an entire place guest suite, if no such thing can exist.

Lauren259
Level 2
Longmont, CO

thank you all - for support.  I'm not aware that it went to resolution center yet, but hope to hear a response soon.  They haven't even broached the subject of refund with me (which I'd be happy to discuss/negotiate) but we're stuck on the apparent inaccuracy of my listing ;(.

@Lauren259 

In my honest opinion, your listing is not in the least bit inaccurate. You are advertising an private "entire guest suite." Nowhere does it show a picture of an entire house or say that the guest will have the whole property. This is a classic case of Airbnb siding with the guest and trying to belittle the host into thinking they are doing something wrong! 

Lauren259
Level 2
Longmont, CO

And now it's been 4+ days since she said "we'll get back to you every few minutes" (?) on Sunday morning. Should I assume that it's resolved, or that they may still come back - never even broached the subject with me about a refund for the guest (it was all about the alleged inaccuracy of my listing). frustrating for sure!