blank guest profile and not responding

Answered!
Jamie-and-Laura1
Level 2
St Agnes, United Kingdom

blank guest profile and not responding

Hi

I’m about to embark on my first guest hosting . I have 5 weeks booked. I have guests who have all contacted me, told me about themselves and quickly responded to question or information.  However, the first guest (due in 4 weeks’ time) doesn’t have a photo on his profile or any information about who they are and only joined Airbnb to make this booking. It’s basically blank. He doesn’t respond to any communications either. I’m worried (as he’s the first guest in a whole house of 10 guest per booking) that his lack of profile and communication is hiding something unsavoury. I don’t want a bunch of Students trashing the house for future guests. I’m I being unnecessarily concerned or would you have concerns? What should I do?

1 Best Answer
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jamie-and-Laura1  I hope you're well!

If this guest instant-booked (I assume here, as you had the opportunity to talk to them about adding a profile pic, reasons for staying, who is coming etc before accepting a request to book) then you can contact Airbnb customer services and explain that you're uncomfortable with the reservation and why, and see if they will cancel penalty-free on your behalf.

Certainly a lack of comms makes you think of the worst! But often guests don't have notifications enabled on the app on their phone, but better for you to be safe than sorry.

For future reservations, review your settings (if you use instant book you can adjust your settings to recieve guests with positive reviews, a profile pic etc)

Paul.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jamie-and-Laura1  I hope you're well!

If this guest instant-booked (I assume here, as you had the opportunity to talk to them about adding a profile pic, reasons for staying, who is coming etc before accepting a request to book) then you can contact Airbnb customer services and explain that you're uncomfortable with the reservation and why, and see if they will cancel penalty-free on your behalf.

Certainly a lack of comms makes you think of the worst! But often guests don't have notifications enabled on the app on their phone, but better for you to be safe than sorry.

For future reservations, review your settings (if you use instant book you can adjust your settings to recieve guests with positive reviews, a profile pic etc)

Paul.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jamie-and-Laura1 

Your concern is understandable. You are new, have the entire house for 10 and have instant booking so you are perfect prey for a trash party.

Try to call them by phone and talk to the person who booked and try to know him better.

But, be careful, we recently hosted a group of guys who were very polite and their communication was great before arrival but then they were very bad guests during their stay (loud, disturbed other guests and neighbors, made damages, left a mess...)

Groups of 4+ guests are always challenging, it is not easy to get their attention during the check-in, they forget to close the front door behind them, they are the party for themselves....all in all, they are like kids with ADHD. We could host a group of 8 people but we recently downgraded to max 5 + max 2 (in two units) and thinking about lower it to 4 + 2.

Anyway, you can call Airbnb, say you feel uncomfortable hosting this group and ask ABB to cancel without penalties to you. I would also turn off instant booking option.

Jamie-and-Laura1
Level 2
St Agnes, United Kingdom

Thanks for you relpys, Very helpful. Yes we had instand booking set but the default setting seems to be for less scutinty rather than the hightest level. I think this is wrong. 

I will speak with airbnb and try and speak with the booking as Paul suggests. Thank you Branka & Silvia for contibuting also.  

Hi @Jamie-and-Laura1 

What a lovely home, but for some potential guests your place has party written all over it 🙂

If you are hosting remotely do install CCTV or similar so you can monitor that only guests who have booked and paid stay.

Have it in your house rules that no visitors who haven't booked or paid are allowed onto your listing either as a day visitor or overnight.

Have a house rule around late night noise.

And I would suggest you add in information about the location. Are there amenities you can walk to? What are the location attractions.? Do you need a car?

You are right to call Airbnb particularly if it is a booking for one guest in a listing that takes up to 10.

And finally many new hosts don't realise you need your own home insurance for STR as the Airbnb Guarantee is limited.

Hi Helen. Thanks for your post.

We have added extra insurance to our policy and told the insurers that we are holiday letting.

I think adding the extra info is a great idea however we are only doing 5 weeks to start and are fully booked.

Would you advise internal cctv or just external?

The guy has booked as a party of 10 - 5 kids and 5 adults and he did respond once to a question about Stair gates saying " the youngest is 10yrs so not necessary but thinks for asking" .

I didn't realise I have his phone number in the listing so I'm going to call him this evening.

I'm probably over worring but ,,,first guest and all !!!

Thanks for you kind comments and input.

I would recommend outside not inside, as inside CCTV will put many off from booking.

Do read up on what you need to do about this on airbnb help centre as you need to mention it clearly in the booking in several places.

You will also need to notify existing bookings once you add it in.

Please try and get it installed before your first booking. It's not expensive and too hard to install.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I’m going through the very same thing at the moment @Jamie-and-Laura1 

Instant booking for 6 folks came through in April - newbie, no pic, ID, bio and none of my questions were answered - what brings you to the area etc.  I’ve asked 4 times now and today sent a message through asking him to provide this info or if he was uncomfortable in doing so to cancel (due to arrive in 12 days).  

If radio silence continues then I’ll call Airbnb tomorrow to cancel - first time in 2 1/2 years this has happened .  Every day’s a school day.  

Let us us know how you get on. 

I feel for you Amanda.

What with this guest being my first, I'm a little put off  by the whole thing.

I just wish the default settings were set for maximum security. I didn't know they could be changed until it was too late.

You live and learn !

All good now. Guest responed. 5 children 2 couples and Grandma. Very busy and kept forgetting to respond.

I sent him a text saying "The Hosting forum is rife with horror stories about  non responsive guests without a profile and doesn't recommend taking on these type of guests, so would he please get in contact asap. ( or words to that effect) ! 

Thank you for everyones help. 

Three and a half weeks to go. Fingers crossed.

Jamie

Nicely done @Jamie-and-Laura1 ! thanks for updating us 🙂

I would be nervous as well.  We have been doing Airbnb since 2019 love it however, we expect good communication from guests.  I also used to see a bit about the guest on their profile and if they have nothing I ask about themselves before booking them if no reviews. Hope this helps.