breakfast amenity

Janet47
Level 1
South Africa

breakfast amenity

Breakfast is not part of what I normally offer, but should a guest specially ask for more than the tea/coffee/juice rusks that are in the room, is it in order to charge the guest directly ie on top of the quoted rate by Airbnb

5 Replies 5
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes you are within your right to charge extra for breakfast if requested and it is not part of your listing offer. You would need to inform the guest of the additional charge and if they agree then you add the charges via the resolution centre, following which the guest will receive an e-mail to accept or decline the extra charges. If the guest agrees their card is debit by Airbnb and passed to your accordingly.

Can I suggest that if this is an option you intend to offer on an ongoing basis, that you include in your listing, that breakfast is available on request at an extra charge. That it will be billed to the guest via the resolution centre in addition to the rate paid for the accommodation. The alternative would be to factor in breakfast into your nightly price and mention in your listing that breakfast is available/ choice on offer.

Hope this is of some help

BW, Ama

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ideally all costs should be approved and made through the platform. You can ask in advance if they would like breakfast and then send a special offer for the revised amount. The difficulty is that some people just don't know until the day. 

Because of that we looked at our pricing and now include basic breakfast items (ie: no cooked items, but bagels, preserves, tea/coffeee juice and yoghurt available). 

I would guess about 50% of guests use it - some just have a glass of juice a and a yoghurt, others have more. They help themselves and we ask them to put any used items in the dishwasher. Seems to work well for us.

We share the same approach as @Gerry-And-Rashid0, provide the basics and realistically Guests only use it occassionally. I'd also suggest adding some more personality to your Hosting experience and consider including it... the reality is it costs very little in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with comments suggesting the inclusion of some sort of breakfast in your listing.  Many of my very positive reviews note how happy they were with the breakfast option.  It allows an opportunity for me to customize for some of my guests and often I spend quality time speaking with the guests during the breakfast.  This amenity may not work for every host, but I would urge offering it if possible.

Anita120
Level 1
Rushville, OH

Hello fellow hosts. My question relates to taxes on this. In Ohio you can't include breakfast in the price of the room. How should this be handled for tax purposes? I want to do this as simply as possible. Thanks for your help.