cancelations

cancelations

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time joining a conversation so not sure am doing this right. I have had a guest who booked for 2 1/2 months. From the outset it was problematic. First she wanted the special coffee machine. Then she wanted a glass bottle for water for fridge, then wanted a special pillow, then said it was too noisy and we changed the windows and insulation, then she didn't want AC so even with window change (which admittedly she didn't request per se) she still felt too noisy, then we said ok we would release you from strict policy and reimburse. Then 15 days into the booking, she said oh the wifi is insecure. Then we looked for tech guy who installed the system who of course was on August vacation and hasn't returned. Then she cancelled and is asking for one week money back from what was a 2 1/2 month reservation, down to one month and now this. So my question of course is, how to respond, what to do and also the constant fear of the review. Note we are superhosts and none of this has ever happened before. Of course, we had some issues with guests but within the sphere of reason. I would like suggestions on how to answer this professionally and how not to take it so much to heart as we work very very hard to help guests in every possible way. Any suggestions will really be helpful 

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Aristides0 I have had quite a number of problematic guests, and one thing I would do in this situation is I would not keep her against her will, which means I would accept her to shorten her stay and do so in compliance with airbnb rules (alteration of stay).

Her review? There is nothing you can do to influence its content, you will be able to reply to it (make sure you will do it). If the review is really unfair, try with airbnb support. Make sure you are able to prove her demands.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you for feedback. I refunded the 1  1/2 month of the 2 months. She agreed to stay the one month, then came up with another issue about wifi security level and cancelled. Now wants refund for the last week. That's the problem now and also how to answer this. 

Dear X, We are sorry that this was not a good fit for you and are glad that you found something that is more suitable. Airbnb has gone ahead and made the adjustments as per our cancellation policy. Enjoy your stay in Greece and safe travels. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Aristides0

This guest was throwing up all sorts of red flags. I would have asked Airbnb to cancel well before her arrival.

I am not exactly clear what you are saying she wants.

In your situation

1. I wouldn't refund this entitled woman a bean

2. I would let her know she is welcome to cancel. She needs to contact Airbnb to do so. They will handle any refund due.

3. If you like say you are happy to be flexible and generous and that if Airbnb allows you to keep any of the fee after she leaves, if you get a replacement booking, you would be happy to consider a refund.

She will leave you  a terrible review anyway so don't feel blackmailed by the threat of one.

Oh boy! We haven't had really difficult guests. A few people have been disappointing but very few. This whole experience was rather a shock. Because the person had been a host so should know better and the problem is of course that we haven't misrepresented anything either. I just want to get past the awkardness of the professional response that won't lead to follow-up email demanding the return of the last 5 days of her stay. I also want to learn from the experience and figure out how to avoid these kinds of situations in the future. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

She will asked for a refund if her previous behaviour is anything to go by.

Contact Airbnb and share you side of the story. They will see how she has been through their messaging system with all her demands and unreasonable behaviour.

As I already mentioned above. Direct her to Airbnb and if they contact you about a refund say no. She will probably complain just refer her back to Airbnb.

The best way to avoid guests like this is not to accept their booking in the first place.

Wish I had known but there was no such indication. It all started upon arrival. Anyhow, many thanks for your advice and support it is greatly appreciated. 

@Aristides0 And please, review her adequately, warn other hosts should she decide to cause trouble to others.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sadly the time to stop her nonsence was at the first demand. I agree with @Helen3. Must go an tick the box.

In this sort of case you really need her to go completely over the top with her review, then it will be much easier to get it removed.

David