cancellation

Lynette46
Level 1
Bela-Bela, South Africa

cancellation

In the event that a guest cancels their reservation (for whatever reason), why do i as host get penalized if not my doing? In numerous instances fees were deducted from my next reservations and i was temp "de-activated"? Dont understand as the guests in some instance choose to cancel where i as a host then could either accept or decline. But why should i get penalized if the guest cancels well in advance? I have chosen a flexible cancellation policy but why be charged for a reservation that does not materialize?

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lynette46  5 of 19 reviews are cancellation reviews.  None of these automated reviews have a response from you.  You have five listings and I wonder if you are aware that if you AGREE with a guest cancellation then it becomes a host cancellation and subject to all the automated penalties.  

Not sure why you let this issue go on for so long, but it might be useful for you to have a long conversation with an Air BNB representative in which you refute that the cancellations are initiated by you.  Gather all the reservation numbers and the Air BNB messages that support that all these cancellations are not host initiated.  Perhaps the automated response can be reversed.

In case you need the how to contact Air BNB guide, here is a link

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Lynette46
Level 1
Bela-Bela, South Africa

Hi Linda, Thank you. Its really helpful. I was not aware that i need to respond to an automated message? My host status gets impacted I would like to change this as in most instances the request to cancel came from a guest and not within my control. If i dont accept the cancellation the "system" appears to cancel/accept the request to cancel on by behalf and i still get penalized... no win situation..