check in times

Kadija4
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

check in times

Hello

I'd like some suggestions  please from anyone who has had guests who want to check in 5 hours early? Especially with enhanced cleaning it means that it will have to be done through the night - thanks! 

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Kadija4 You can say no to the early check-in. There is a reason you have a check-in time and that is so you can run your Airbnb smoothly and honour your reservation. I know as a host you want to help and be accommodating but sometimes guest’s requests are too much. Just tell the guest the truth that you need the time to clean. If you really want this reservation then you should charge a hefty early check-in fee and pay your self or cleaner what you deserve to work throughout the night. If the guest really wants to checkin that early they will be willing to pay the cost. If they are not willing to pay extra for early checkin, it’s obviously not that important to them. I’ve had guests request early checkin and accommodated them, busted my butt to get it done on time, and they end up not checking in early, never say thank you, don’t mention it in the review, and even complain. Good guests are conscientious of your check-in time because they know you use that time to clean and make their stay comfortable, they wouldn’t ask for early check-in without offering payment. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Are you considering staying up all night to clean so that a guest can break your first rule, @Kadija4 ? If you want to, sure. But you don't have to. 

Guests often ask to check in early. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they just assume. But in any case I say no. It is not possible right now for me to allow it. Like you, I need the time for cleaning, and the time for it to sit between guests. 

Say no. Say it nicely, but do say no. Explain to them about the enhanced cleaning if you like, or just say you are afraid it is not possible. Don't mention the staying up all night part. They won't care about that.

Is anything open near you where they might go? An outdoor café or something? You might suggest that to them. 

Wishing you the best! Get some sleep! : )

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kadija4,

I rarely allow early check-in, because I need that time to not only get the space ready for the guest, but to run my own personal errands and do my house chores without worrying if the guest is coming.  @Katrina79 mentioned, when I have stated an early check-in fee (1/2 of the nightly rate), most of the time the guests choose to just drop off their luggage, and come back after check-in time begins.  The same goes for requests for late checkouts.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kadija4 We offer drop off for luggage rather than early check in. If guests request to Come early and the property is not booked then we explain that if it doesn't get booked up we will contact them a few days before their stay and allow an early check in.

Kadija4
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

@Katrina79 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Debra300 @Lawrene0 

Thank you all for sharing your experience and advice. I suggested an early check in fee and explained that it was to ensure that the enhanced cleaning protocol could be completed in time

And they were fine with that. I gave them the option of paying via the resolution centre or direct and gave them a week to accept or not. I have allowed guests to drop off luggage before  and would still do so in the future but as this is 5 hours early and a long term booking, I felt that it may be too much luggage to work around. Thanks again!