communication with guests

communication with guests

I would like to keep my phone number private from guests and communicate solely through email/website. Possible to remove access to my phone number?

10 Replies 10
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Dan166 Hello, in a way your mobile is private as it only is made available to people who have booked and paid.

It makes sense that your guests have your mobile number since they depend on you during their stay. 

Kathy152
Level 1
Forest, VA

There is an app you can get that will give you another number for your existing phone line, then you can give that number to your guests and they will not have your true phone number..the app is called "SIDELINE"..number has to be used at least once a month in order to keep it

@Kathy152 thanks for posting it, do you have it? are you satisfied? It seems like very good idea

Sorry to be so long in replying to this, yes my husband and I both have it, we love it!!

Ron82
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Help... New to this:  How do I communicate with a guest. I'm given the option to either Approve or Disapprove my guest. I just want to talk to them. Reason being is because I'm suspicious of the requested 14 guests being a fraternity. How do I email or call my guest?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ron82

You use Airbnb's messaging system.

I normally ask people plans for their stay and why they chose my place. Make sure they have a fully completed profile. For future guests change your listing settings so only guest with photo ID can book.

If you are going to host large groups - ask them makeup and ages of the group.

Also make sure your house rules cover no-one at your place who hasn't booked and paid, rules around noise etc.

If you are a remote host I would suggest CCTV is an essention.

Tracey65
Level 3
Perth, Australia

I am new to Air bnB and have received my first reservation request. I have instant booking available. I confirmed the reservation  and answered the guest through the Air BnB wesbite , but have since received texts on my mobile from the guest. I am reluctant  to reply by text as Air BnB says not to communicate outside AirBnB. I have  also receive emails . I am unsure what method to use to reply to my guest.  I have the Air BnB app. Should I reply through this?

I would also like advice about verifying my guest. I have instant booking but have not stipulated photo ID on check in. I have asked for host recommendations. Should I include Government  issued photo ID as a requirement?  Does that mean I ask the guest for their ID when they check in? 

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

hi @Tracey65

you can answer through ABB messaging system something like : "Dear xxx please keep all your communication with me through ABB messaging system. Regarding your question about xxxx which you asked me by email/sms , my answer is....... "

You are allowed to ask for photo ID at the arrival, from all your guests, including children. You can make a photocopy or photo of their documents or even better just print a form and fill it infront of them. You can also ask them to sign it so you have proof that they did checked in.

In some countries like Croatia, Italy etc... it is mandatory bc we have to register all our guests online to police and our tourist board. We have to write down following personal info:

check in and out dates

name and second name

type of document (ID, passport...)

passport /ID... number

citisenship

country of residence

country of birth

date of birth

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Tracey

I am on IB and i have as mendatory a ID check which i think he must have i dont care about picture but ID for me is essential

And i dont answer to SMS unless the guest is arriving shortly or inform me he wont have access to internet for becaues he is traveling 

when a guest send me a sms i reply via the ABB system i dont reply directly to his Sms. i do  my best to protect myself as i had a bad guest when i 1st start renting out so since then i keep all messages via ABB 

Dont let any guests take you out of the ABB messaging system 

Thank you for your reply