damaged item

Answered!
Cynthia49
Level 2
Sliema, MT

damaged item

My clients informed me that this item, only one year old, broke. We went out of our way and replaced it immediately at a cost of just under €200. We're not sure we should request them to settle the expense as a negative review could cost us more, although we have 100% positive reviews so far.

1 Best Answer
Valerie77
Level 2
New York, NY

Can you file a claim after the point that they can no longer leave you the negative review? How long do you get to file a claim? After 14 days they can no longer leave you a review.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Valerie77
Level 2
New York, NY

Can you file a claim after the point that they can no longer leave you the negative review? How long do you get to file a claim? After 14 days they can no longer leave you a review.

As far as I know, I have 24 hours after check-out to make a claim. But thanks.

Juley0
Level 3
Danville, CA

It is difficult to comment given you have not specified what the item was. It would definitely become a dispute between you & the guest, Airbnb won't make a decision without contacting the guest first. You have to make a claim right away, should have been immediate but for sure within 48 hours of guest's departure. Sometimes it is difficult to prove the guest was responsible for damage unless he admits fault. Even then, you need it in writing. You will have to decide which is more important, the money or the good review. Maybe it would be best to replace the item with something less breakable, or to not replace it for guest use. Of course you are entitled to replacement cost, but maybe in future just keep it for personal use. Remember that you can explain the reasons for their bad review beneath it, so if you have lots of positive reviews, it shouldn't make a huge impact. Reasonable people will understand that you were entitled to replacement cost.

One year-old, Italian-made bed. Yes Juley, my reasoning exactly. Perhaps airbnb should block reviews once a complaint is lodged. To be fair, proving it is impossible. Thanks a lot.

A one year old bed is probably still under warranty - worth checking? If it is damage - that is one thing. If it broke it may not have been fit for purpose - and so might be possible to have it, or the part replaced.

Michelle151
Level 2
Lafayette, LA

My last visitors pulled too hard on the blinds & they broke & fell down.  Silly me, I thought this was covered under the insurance, but obviously not.  Barring reading too much agreement type text, may I assume that I would have to have asked them to pay for it?  Or just suck it up & buy new ones myself.

John153
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

Review already given. Guest damaged table cloth with an huge black stain. Cloth worth £20.

Joseph265
Level 1
Quezon City, Philippines

Our guest decided to take an iron and use our Sofa Bed as their countertop for ironing. We have then been in contact with the guest and they have not confirmed that they were the ones responsible. We then, decided to give the visitor a 48 hour window to answer our message, and have even ask her to pay the amount that would cover the replacement of the burnt cloth. But, since then, she hasn't replied. What should I do, please help. 

THank you! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joseph265,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Perhaps it might be worth having a look at the 'Resolution Center' as it explains what you can do if something like this happens. 

Please let me know how it goes!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Joseph265
Level 1
Quezon City, Philippines

Hi Quincy, 

Thank you for your help! I have followed the steps and have done this for the 3rd time. The guest has also not responded to our request. What should our next step be? 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joseph265,

Thank you for getting back to me.

In this case, I would recommend that you contact Airbnb using the 'How to contact Airbnb' guide. 

Could you let me know how it goes? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen