difficult guests asking refund. I also have an open case with them

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

difficult guests asking refund. I also have an open case with them

hi guys

not sure where to start, trying to make it short

I had guests booking my flat for 10 days. All paid. before arrival, they modified the reservation to 9 days. Meanwhile my settings have been changed and I charged extra for after 2 people which meant that they had to pay 20-30 pounds extra which they did.

During their stay, they requested to stay 10 days (back to their original booking). I said that is not an issue but they need to send an alteration request that did not happen. I did it by myself - never accepted/paid.

I opened a case with airbnb - then the guest paid 90 pounds, i requested 130 for that exra night (that was in the calander). I did not bother too much as I had to open another case with the guests as they caused some damage to my leather sofa and on the wall. Since no reply I had to escalate the issue to airbnb.

1. Airbnb did not come back to me in the last 3 weeks. I provided all information to them: pictures, conversations, estimated price for repair. Twittered and called airbnb but they are really taking their time. I am requesting 270 pounds.

2. Meanwhile the guests opened another case saying that they have been overcharged and requesting 250 pounds from me as they actually already paid for that extra night as part of their first reservation request. I immediately declined the request as they clearly have not and sent back a message to the guests that they are being ridicolous (they were really hard to communicate from the beginning I did tell them to let me know in case of anything as we are happy to help, but instead of communication, I received a blame-email why they did not like their stay - which could have been fixed if they reached out to me. for example: no coffee machine etc).

I ask 300 pounds as security deposit when someone books the property. how long does airbnb keep it for? they checked out exactly a month ago but issue was raised almost immediately to airbnb and pending with them for 3 weeks now to make a decision. it is with the trust and safety team apparently

How can I prove to the guests that they are wrong? I double-checked the reservation and i did say that they were cherged 9 days plus paid the extra one later (90 pounds) but they claim 250?

thanks

dora

3 Replies 3
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Dora31 they sound like a nightmare! I hope that you have all the documentation in the airbnb messaging system.

I would definitely decline all of their requests because based on what I know there is no such thing as claiming $ after staying the whole time because the stay was uncomfortable. If it was not comfortable, why did they stay for the whole reservation? For the future, do not let anybody stay before the payment/alteration is clear and confirmed.

Becky19
Level 2
Champaign, IL

I look at it this way, this a business and your home or property.It took me a while but you got to realize people will see your kindness as weakness and you are now essentially running a business. Also, the security deposit.....I stopped doing it because I'm still learning what it is for and please other host correct me but I had filed a claim etc and it was never added into the rediculously small offer airbnb offered me after my claim so I stopped putting it on my rooms because I figured it made people not want to book and if when I had a security deposit of 100$ on my  room and asked ewhy it was not included in their "offer for my damage claim" I got the run around. They never once explained, answered questions regarding the issue, or even let me speak directly to anyone in the claims department. Check your email because once or if they send you an offer you fet 48 hours to read a ten page agreement before it is completely closed. Bottom linr you ake the rules they accepted that is it. Hold your ground. Not sure if this helps. As for alterations I refuse to do it unless it is switching rooms, I always call airbnb because I don't want to be at fault for anything. They did say that it does not affect your stats if it has been booked but still I always, like you ask them to send the request. Not sure if this helps but form my experience it is a big run around and you need to call every day and check your email. best wishes

Hey Dora,

Call them every day and plead your case. Took me about a month but airbnb doesn't take or hold the security deposit. They will probably charge their card for it at a later date if there is any money on it. I got my claim in about 4 weeks. A guest broke a glass table. Moreover, any damages over $300 I think airbnb requires a police report. But keep calling. That's what I did.