early check out

JoAnn1159
Level 1
Springfield, VT

early check out

Do you give a guest a partial refund if they leave one day early due to a pending snow storm?

3 Replies 3
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@JoAnn1159 

No. I wouldn't. 

If you have already started a conversation with them about it, I would simply tell them that they are welcome to submit an extenuating circumstances request (I guess that's what it's called) to AirBnB with documentation but that the decision is left up to AirBnB and that hosts don't make that decision.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Actually, the guests have not asked about a refund. In fact they were wonderful guests. I was just feeling sorry that the coming storm forced them to leave a day earlier. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@JoAnn1159, as @Emily487 said, I probably wouldn't. I've had the same situation a few times and while we sympathize with them, put yourself in their shoes. If you planned to leave because of a snowstorm, would you think a refund was in order? In a hotel, especially? I did give one guest, very early on a bit of a refund, because I felt sorry for her since she got altitude sickness, but that is because we had actually chatted back and forth beforehand and I just felt bad for her overall. 

But, in this case, I would play it by ear and see how they go about it, but I would most likely not give a refund.