extenuating circumstances

Sterling11
Level 2
New York, NY

extenuating circumstances

a guest says they can't make the trip because of an illness to one person in the party.   this is for a 7 day reservation.  i requested the guest to cancel but the guest still hasn't 3 days into a 7 day stay.    if the guest cancels and then later provides paperwork is this guest going to receive a full refund?

4 Replies 4
Mark1498
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

I expect they will get a full refund if Airbnb accept their extenuating circumstances. This has happened to me. 7 months after the cancellation Airbnb has suddenly debited my account for the full amount they paid, with no notice or communication with me.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Yes, Airbnb will give them a full refund if they can prove extenuating circumstances (i.e. doctor’s note)

Sterling11
Level 2
New York, NY

I am trying to get them to cancel but they aren't.. this is so annoying.  if they could cancel i could book it right away.    this is very unfair to a host.  i understand circumstances come up but that a guest isn't cancelling while their stay is happening is very annoying.  

Nicola224
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

I've just had a guest say they've called Airbnb to cancel but it is still active my end. I've asked them to cancel but the guest says they're in hospital and too busy. 

If they cancelled I could fill the room. It's unfair. She knew about 2 days before her hubby was ill and it was unlikely she'd be able to travel.