guests not reporting something broken

S17
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

guests not reporting something broken

Hi You all!  Happy Summer!  I have an issue I was hoping for some feedback on.  I hosted a couple for a week and everything was going smoothly.  About mid-week, while I was providing fresh towels I noticed a lot of water on the bathroom floor.  I sent a message to my guests asking if they were having any trouble with the shower.  Their response was no, everything was fine. 

After they departed I went in to clean the space and found that the shower handle was indeed broken and not working correctly. I had one day between guests and it became clear to me that this was an issue that was going to take time.  I could not fix it in that one day.

I immediately contacted my plumber and then airbnb support.  My plumber pulled a rabbit out of the hat and was able to come in and fix the shower the very next day but I could not know that for sure so I had to cancel the following reservation.  I did so with airbnb and explained to my guests what happened.

It's just had my previous guest answered me honestly when I asked them about the water, I would have been able to have more time to make repairs and would not have had to cancel. 

When I asked them about it, they denied, denied, denied any knowledge that there was something wrong.  I told them this was not about liability, this was my responsibility, and I only asked that they tell me.  I even state the same thing on my welcome page.  I ask that if there is something broken or not working properly, to please tell me about it so that I may fix it, that's all.

I have not written a review for them and I wasn't going to mention it, but what do you all think?  Should I?

2 Replies 2

@S17 I think there are two likely possibilities here. Either the guests were aware of the defect and afraid of being blamed and charged for it, or they were unaware that it wasn't working as usual because your home is a foreign place to them. If you can't be 100% sure about which one it was, it's probably not worth mentioning in the review. 

Since you're an onsite host, I can only recommend writing the known facts about your experience with the guests and rating them based on how you think they're likely to be in other homes. 

Thank you for your input. You’re right, my home is foreign to them but when I went in after them, as soon as I turned the shower on I had extreme difficulty turning it off. I would hate to think anyone would think that is standard in my Airbnb or any Airbnb for that matter. 
I am very conservative when it comes to reviews and something like this I prefer to handle privately, not in a review. 
I made it clear I was not blaming them nor am I seeking compensation. My only critique was that they didn’t tell me 

thanks again for your sound advice