guests profiles that are excepted to use Airbnb without a photo ID on their profile

guests profiles that are excepted to use Airbnb without a photo ID on their profile

We would love to know why Guest Profiles get approved without a photo ID as this has happened now 2 times in a row and we feel this is not acceptible...we could not be accepted as a guest only last year until our photo was on our application...THIS IS NOT SAFE FOR ANYONE!

6 Replies 6
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @JEFFREY-And-Linda0:

This subject has been coming up a great deal lately. There are a large number of us hosts that are not OK with this. What I do I want to profile comes up without a picture, I send them a message that per my house rules, I cannot see my way clear to even think about approving the request until I can see a picture of them.  So far no one has had an issue with this and immediately uploads a profile picture. In the meantime, no one seems to be sure what to do to get Airbnb to follow their own policies.  The only thing I could suggest as far as that goes, is to send feedback to Airbnb about their product and tell him that this part is not OK with you. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@JEFFREY-And-Linda0 I totally agree.  We as hosts are opening our front doors to strangers, welcoming them into our homes, giving them a key etc and the very least I expect is that I have some idea of what that person looks like.  Airbnb's policy does  not allow third party bookings and yet they are facilitating them by not insisting that the booker provides a photo.  Worryingly, there is now also a trend for guests to have blank profile descriptions, ie not even writing one sentence about who they are and what they do.  Like @Ava30 I send guests with no photo a message  to provide one and so far nobody has refused.  Make sure you add both these requirements to your house rules.

Jeannie53
Level 2
Goldthwaite, TX

I am a new host and this has happened a couple of times, which I find disturbing. When I first started in June 2018, I emailed Airbnb about it but received no response. I very much appreciate this forum. I was under the impression that it was part of the Airbnb vetting process. I will add the requirement to my house rules.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I have frequently had to ask potential guests to add a photo of themselves - I usually say "... you can see my photo and my house, and I'd like to know I'm welcoming the correct person into my home where I live..."

I once had a photo of a duck try to book... so I said that I didn't have a pond so my place might not be a good fit.  She changed her photo within a few minutes and was a great guest.

Newbies just don't understand the trust issue, especially when it's a room in a private house where the host lives full time.

I also ask them to write 3 sentences about themselves in their profile page...  "Could you please finish your profile page...."

Jennifer940
Level 2
Royal Oak, MI

I don't care about a photo. Of 200 guests, I have only had a few negative experiences, and those had photos. Just sharing that it may not be as unsafe as it seems.

Hi@Jennifer

and it’s the negative experiences that you tend to remember........for all the wrong Reasons!