how can i tell if airbnb is collecting occupancy tax

Ginger11
Level 1
Healdsburg, CA

how can i tell if airbnb is collecting occupancy tax

I received a notice that Airbnb would begin collecting and remitting my occupancy taxes in Utah beginning 10/1/16.  The instructions from AirBnB state that this will be noted on my listing and will be visible on my bookings.   I cannot find anywhere on my listing that notes the taxes will be collected, and I just had a booking yesterday (10/28) that doesn't not seem to indicate taxes are being collected.  Has anyone else had the automatic tax process implemented and if so, can you provide me any guidance?  I just want to make sure the correct amount is being collected.

Also, any idea how they file the taxes on our behalf if they haven't asked for my tax id?

Thanks!

Ginger

3 Replies 3

I have a similar question. Does the rate they say they were quoting for us include or exclude occupancy taxes?

Mark338
Level 1
Downers Grove, IL

I have the same question for Colorado, where Airbnb is beginning to collect and remit occupancy taxes on behalf of hosts as of February 1. I can't tell if they are adding the tax to the guest total, then remitting that to the state (and if so, how, under whose tax id registration, and how do I reflect that on my own return, if at all), or are they deducting it from the what the host gets, then remitting it to the state? If it's the latter, I need to gross up the rate to cover it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi! I know this dates back to 2016 but I have a similar question.

I have read in an article that Airbnb collects and remits taxes on the Host's behalf and it is the Host's responsibility to file tax return. I already called Utah State Tax Commission and the csr told me I needed to file a zero return if all the bookings are in Airbnb. If there are any bookings outside Airbnb, I would need to collect, file and pay for it. 

I am confused now if I still have to file a return for those remittances made by Airbnb. Is there a report I can find that shows how much was remitted and when it was remitted to Utah State Tax Commission? I can see how much has been collected from the guests but I'd like to know when those were remitted and how much was remitted each time before I go on and file a 0 tax return. 

Thanks!