how to get complaint mediation response from airbnb ?

Answered!
David4351
Level 2
Lysterfield South, Australia

how to get complaint mediation response from airbnb ?

hi, 

long of the short story.  

In April we stayed in a Budapest apartment that had open sewer smell in the room - at the time we complained and the host refused to cancel our booking.  After one day we ended up leaving the appartment and staying elsewhere. 

Since our stay in April I have been trying to get a refund, I contacted the host which refused and said I should have cancelled the booking (note i did request it at the time) and also since tried AIrbnb resolution option, but never heard anything back from AIrbnb. 

I am looking into requesting the credit card transaction be reversed, or at least covered as part of my insurance associated with my mastercard altitude rewards program. 

We've had lots of success with AIrbnb in Europe, but I have to say budapest was a nightmare, sewer smell and windows all open - our children caught the flu and it really ruined our vacation. 

David

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David4351 

It was in April and now is July. I am afraid now is too late.

You should have to contact your host, explain the problem and give him a chance to fix it within 24 hours.

If it wasn't fixable then you should have to contact Airbnb to cancel your stay, refund you and relocate you (or you could find another place to stay)

The host will never cancel on his behalf because he would be penalized. And he didn't ask you to leave, it was your decision and you wanted a refund so you should have followed the procedure to get it.

This way, you didn't cancel, you kept his calendar blocked and he wasn't able to rebook those days and that's why he is refusing to refund you.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David4351 

It was in April and now is July. I am afraid now is too late.

You should have to contact your host, explain the problem and give him a chance to fix it within 24 hours.

If it wasn't fixable then you should have to contact Airbnb to cancel your stay, refund you and relocate you (or you could find another place to stay)

The host will never cancel on his behalf because he would be penalized. And he didn't ask you to leave, it was your decision and you wanted a refund so you should have followed the procedure to get it.

This way, you didn't cancel, you kept his calendar blocked and he wasn't able to rebook those days and that's why he is refusing to refund you.

Ahmed94
Level 2
Paris, France

Anybody knows the contact details of the Airbnb ombudsman or any team to who I can send my grievances against the Payments department?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ahmed94 I don't believe there is a STR ombudsman. What issue are you having?