how to handle damage to my property by guest

Sita4
Level 1
Dunnellon, FL

how to handle damage to my property by guest

I had a kitchen cabinet door torn off cabinet. These are good quality hinges and the door was clearly yanked off with damage to cabinet. Guest texted me when it happened and sent photo. As the door was completely detatched, I told guest I would take care of it after check-out.. I have now seen damage and it took some force to tear door off. This is first problem I have had and I do not want to add security deposit as this might put off future guests. I will now have to do a time consuming restoration, does airbnb insurance cover this ?

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sita4 go ahead and submit a request for damage.  Hopefully the guest acknowledged doing the damage in Airbnb's message thread. 

To do this, use the Resolution Center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Put a security deposit amount on your listing.  There really isn't a good reason not to.  99% of hosts have one so it doesn't put you at a disadvantage. 

Airbnb doesn't charge the security deposit when a guest books so it doesn't affect the cost of a reservation. 

All the best, 

Clare

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Sita4

It might be the best and quickest way to simply ask your guest to compensate you directly. Especially since they texted you the photo and (hopefully) admitted being responsible. These are the key issues here, and claiming from Airbnb (with or without a security deposit) is a time consuming exercise that does not always work out. And you must claim within 24hrs of the guest departing, and also history shows that guests get less likely to feel responsible or pay for damages as time passes - so you must move quickly.

Airbnb will likely want to see original install invoices for the cabinets, as well as have a professional & registered company (not a handyman) give their estimate for repair..... as well as written admittance from the guest. And it is possible that your reply to the guest text of taking care of it after check-out may go against you (not meaning to be difficult here - just saying).

So if you think you can, just chalk this one up to learning and quickly get in touch with the guest and ask for a contribution towards repair. He can pay through the resolution center and do this BEFORE your review. Just think of a reasonable amount (it won't be enough of course - but something is better than nothing) and request it. Soon. Most people, if they feel responsible for some damage, will pay up to $100 directly without it becoming a long and drawn out exercise.

I know it seems disappointing that Airbnb don't offer to reimburse for anything and everything that gets damaged, broken or stolen - but let's be realistic here - that would be impossible andeven our own household insurance companies don't do this (not many policies offer accidental damage new for old replacement without charging hefty additional premiums...) - and when there is an Airbnb 'insurance' claim on the host guarantee - very strict guidelines are followed and most aren't successful (rightly or wrongly - just stating the facts).

I hope you are able to sort something and please do let us know what you do and any results - it will help another reader/host with their own situation one day.

Best Wishes.

@Sita4   As  mentioned by others having a secuity deposit changes nothing it is as difficult a path as claiming against Airbnb insurance. Always better to work it out with the guest.   Airbnb do not cover "wear and tear" and its parameters for it are extremely generous.  I do have a security deposit but it's to alert people that they need to be responsible and deter those who are not. Maybe it puts some people off but I  prefer that to a horror story and it hasn't affected my bookings.

@Sita4

Welcome to the club of Airbnb Hosts who know that Airbnb does not have their backs!

One past guest admitted to causing damage (both in handwritten and digital form) and all evidence was provided to Airbnb, and yet Airbnb still said, "umm, normal wear and tear" even though it was absolute damage to a custom window and window frame!!!

The sad part is that all future Airbnb guests will have to pay higher rates in order for me to cover the the replacement costs.  And I will have nothing but terrible things to say about how Airbnb operates -- because they essentially refuse to acknowledge that their guests are anything but angels.

(PS: This replied to @Ange2 cuz Airbnb's website is wonky...)