how to write a bad review?

Viktoria56
Level 5
Algarrobo, Chile

how to write a bad review?

I know this sounds contra the airbnb spirit but , well first of all I really hate the review system and find many imbalances in it... especially towards the hosts. Mind you I'm a bit of a Montessori type anyway and don't like grade systems... anyway... I've been an AirBnB host now for 11months.  I would like to know the best way to give a bad review. I usually opt for not giving any review when I am unhappy with a guest. Mostly (90+%) we've had a wonderful time hosting but now I've had guests again that we're problematic from even before they came. I offered them to cancel if they wanted but they didn't. As it was, this young European couple didn't care anything about the rules of our house... greasy food in the bedroom etc... and to top it off were a bit combative and challenging to the house rules....as if they had some sort of special privilege?  Chile is a mess btw at the moment. Massive cancellations in AirBnB... I decided to let them come anyway figuring it could partially be all of the stress going on in the country presently.  I changed my cutoff time 3 times especially to accommodate them. I did their laundry ( for a very small fee) gave them breakfast etc... offered places to go... left out coffee and tea all day for them... all to try and smooth things and try to connect with them. Nothing seemed to work.. anyway.. did our best. I am a 2 time Superhost so I am traumatized by and have a lot of anxiety about these types of guests. Usually these types don't write reviews so I don't either and we just fugedaboudit. But this time they wrote something... don't know what yet because I haven't written their review yet.  I hope they haven't trashed my status. I had called AirBnB before their arrival... in a panic. Anyway... I was truly unhappy but I know if I write a bad review it will make me look bad... was wondering if there was a special way to do this. Thank-you for your time.

19 Replies 19

Really? How does a guest know their overall rating? Are all of the hosts ratings anonymous? Where can I find this information. That alone could help immensely. They can see thier overall rating but they don't know who gave them what rating? Whereas for the hosts, guests can see all hosts ratings and reviews? We can also see guests ratings and reviews... hmmm I think maybe this isn't correct. Would like to know if that is true and where I can see that info in the company b n b site perhaps? uff... Evo Morales is in Mexico... Chile is a mess in a constant protest y paro ... Trump's impeachment starts tomorrow... Hong Kong is battling students, Australia es en llamas uncontrolled... Brexit is... quiet for now... What else!  and here I am talking about hidden stars 😉

Viktoria56
Level 5
Algarrobo, Chile

It's not a tit for tat thing.... yes, it was honest but then they communicated so clearly and eloquently that I felt I should change the star.... I think we should be able to do that 😉 Yes, it was that they wouldn't react when we spoke to them... We as hosts I feel are in a much more vulnerable position than our guests. They know where to find us... I have no idea where they live.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

""I am a 2 time Superhost so I am traumatized by and have a lot of anxiety about these types of guests.""

Ain't that the truth!

Viktoria56
Level 5
Algarrobo, Chile

Too bad AirBnB doesn't have emoji's! I'd give you a heart 🙂

Viktoria56
Level 5
Algarrobo, Chile

Yes, I don't know if you've heard but Chile has been in a major political, civil unrest-upheaval for the past 3 weeks. Everyone is on edge. In this past year I've had MANY intimate special moments with my guests as maybe you can see if you read my reviews. In 11 months I've had about 100 guests. We have a very popular listing. Guests from all over the world... at least 11 countries and counting 😉 The ones that really make me laugh a little are the young couples who come to escape the smog and chaos of Santiago and rent our room 1/2 block from the beach and never leave the room! They are watching movies, talking... whatever! But usually people come to go to the beach but sometimes they just come to stay in the room 😉