i want to host a room but the location is not that much ideal.my question is is it still worth it.?

Ashfaq4
Level 1
Palos Hills, IL

i want to host a room but the location is not that much ideal.my question is is it still worth it.?

i want to host a room, but the location is like30 mnt far from city and not in a safe neighberhood like not like posh area  of  the city. the room is ideal with every amenites and with car parking and train and bus lines in a few mnt distance. i just wanna ask airbnb commuinity what should be my tactics to host in such area.anyone has any experience like this? thanks

6 Replies 6
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ashfaq4 I hope you are well!

There is a market for all types of listings in all types of locations. 

Not everyone wants or needs to be in the city centre, guests can be visiting friends or family and want to be close to where they live, close to other local amenities like hospitals or stadiums- the list goes on.

What you do need to do, is be clear about where exactly your accommodation is, distance to the centre and a good idea about what the local area to the listing is like, so guests expectations are met.

A good place to start would be to search your local area as a guest on Airbnb, you'll see what type of accommodation is close by, you can look at their calendars and pricing, and see if they are using particular working/language and strategy to give you an idea of what you could do yourself.

Paul 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ashfaq4  I usually agree with Paul but..... I remember a host who listed a room in an "urban" neighborhood and he kept getting low ratings for the location until he was delisted because of low ratings. He was a very nice guy, the room was nice, the price was low ... but it didn't help.

I have an apartment on the very edge of the city center/downtown. It has hospitals, cliniques, market, shops, direct bus line to the airport, trams and bus stops, restaurants and cafes ... all within 200 m.... and the main square is just 25 min walk away, but I rent it long term. It is on the corner with a very busy and noisy street, the neighborhood is not really "fancy" and I know I would be dinged for it.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ashfaq4 

Don't waste your time get a long term tenant, Airbnb too much work for a very small return.

Ashfaq4
Level 1
Palos Hills, IL

thanks to all of you guys who replied, i think i will give it a try and see what happens so many factors to consider for the guest. will share my experience. thanks

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ashfaq4  I don't see any reason not to try.  As long as you don't go too crazy in spending, list the room for 6 months or so and see how it goes, you can always take the listing down if there is not enough interest or you get poor reviewss.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ashfaq4  I'd say it doesn't matter if it's not in a posh neighborhood, or 30 minutes from the center, or that it's a modest offering. But I wonder what you mean that it's not a safe neighborhood?  If guests are likely to get mugged or hassled just walking down the street, then guests would likely not be happy about that. If it's just a matter of keeping your wits about you, having street smarts and not doing stupid things that could lead to some bad incident, then you just have to be honest and warn people about where it's safe to walk, etc. and where it's not. 

It's really important when you write a listing description, to mention all the negatives, along with the positives. I have a neighbor who hosts some open-air buildings and she advertises them as being perfect for a romantic honeymoon-type vacation for couples. The buildings themselves are sort of romantic, but rustic, and she keeps them really nice. But she neglects to mention that she and her son live a few meters from these rental buildings. I notice that several of her reviews mention that- the guests were led to believe it was really private, but in fact, it's not. So  always mention the warts, along with the good things, so guests have an accurate idea of what to expect.