long term reservation

Answered!
Gabriel685
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

long term reservation

Hello guys, I need your help.

I have recently found a very nice apartment listing on facebook marketplace of a property in Melbourne. 

The owner/host informed me that she is on duty as part of the Royal Australian Air Force and would be talking to me via email and other mediums of communications. As the owner is away she proposed to use Airbnb as a way to carry out the transaction. 

I asked some questions about rent and bond payment (as I am looking for a place for at least one year) and a inspection to see the place before further discussion, and she answers me with the following email:

"

Gabriel,

I am not sure if you have rented anything on Airbnb before so let me explain you a few words about it. I will post the flat on their website and you will have to make the rental online. Once you make the payment to them you will meet with the Airbnb agent on the arrival date and he will give you the keys. You will have a 3 days period to inspect this apartment. If don't like it, they will refund your money back in 24 hours.You will pay the bond to Airbnb and at the end of the renting period they will offer a full refund.

If you made up your mind, I will need the exact dates you want to rent, your full name, phone number and email address.

Looking forward to hearing from you

"

Once I read this email a couple of things caught my attention:

1)"Airbnb Agent" -  I know there are companies that manage listings and everything but an Airbnb agent????

2)Only being able to inspect the place after I pay

3)Telling me to pay a bond directly yo Airbnb? As far as I know all bonds in Victorian territory are held in trust by the RTBA 

I am not sure if that is common practice when renting something for a large period of time through Airbnb and I hope someone could shed some light.

thank you so much,

Gabriel Sousa

1 Best Answer

@Gabriel685 it's a well known scam & you'll lose your money if you transfer anything.

Also Airbnb isn't well suited to longterm rental. You've got minimal rights as a tenant, e.g. the host can cancel on you at anytime during your stay, whereas there is legislation protecting you if you have signed a lease. Better to stick with a traditional lease & be careful of the scams out there!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Gabriel685 

SCAM SCAM SCAM  do not send any money, lots of people have lost $1000s with this.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Gabriel685 
Welcome to CC.

Have you been living in Melbourne for a while?

As a rule and part of Terms of Service no one can go to an ABB to see what they look like before staying, that's the way it is.

If the Host has given you an option of 3 days, that's fair and reasonable to see if it works for you both.

The Host is likely to be using the terminology Agent as we do here in New Zealand as a Real Estate Agent/ Property Manager because if the owner is away over a certain number of days for Insurance purposes must have a Representative.

Have you considered asking the Host if they will be ensuring that should you be successful in your coming to an agreement that they may well be intending to deposit the bond to the RTBA?

It's best to msg the Host and ask as that's the best way to communicate, isn't it?

@Gabriel685 

This is a well known scam and I would refer you to this thread where it is discussed at great length.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

I would discount what Helen mentions, it's well meaning advice but falls woefully short of being streetwise.

Perhaps you may consider to book a place for a couple of weeks directly on a reputable website and use this time to find a longer term place that is suitable when you arrive.

@Gabriel685 it's a well known scam & you'll lose your money if you transfer anything.

Also Airbnb isn't well suited to longterm rental. You've got minimal rights as a tenant, e.g. the host can cancel on you at anytime during your stay, whereas there is legislation protecting you if you have signed a lease. Better to stick with a traditional lease & be careful of the scams out there!

Marc-and-MJ0
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

We don't have a problem with potential guests inspecting our properties.  We would rather their expectations be met before they book than receive a disappointing review if the property fails to meet their expectations.

Marc & MJ

Short Stay Property Management

www sspm com au