other guest identification

Start-Capetown0
Level 2
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

other guest identification

I am brand new to Airbn. I listed my booking and had someone contact me the day before arrival. The apartment was empty so no big deal. But brought me down to a 40% discount monthly rental price. I did request a copy of his id (local) and copy's  of other persons staying (also local). Am I allowed to ask for copy's of id or passports before moving in? I felt very unsafe leaving strangers in my fully furnished and equipped apartment. I had a full inventory of contents prepared of the things in the apartment and was told by the tenant that this won't be necessary as airbn has good insurance. I left the list with him all the same. The guy arrived on his own 1.5 hours late.  He booked for 3 people (but I don't know who the other 2 people are).  I was told 3 people would be staying there. But I have no way of knowing if this is true as the apartment potentially sleeps 5. Also I forgot to mention in the ad that the electricity was prepaid. Which I am now honouring by sending a token number to his phone periodically. They are going through R100 is 4 days. When the apartment on average uses around R350 per month.

I was told by the tenant I was not allowed to request copies of Id's. Is this true, where airbn has no real legal right in SA.

5 Replies 5
Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

I think it's ok to ask for ID. It might be a good idea to call Airbnb to confirm. A month is a long time, I can see how you would be concerned. I wonder what is spiking the electricity?

Start-Capetown0
Level 2

Unfortunately we do not have a contact for airbn in South Africa. Which is another big worry for me. I really feel left in the dark on this one.  Just to correct he is staying for 23 days and not a full month as I had a booking for 2 Jan. To be honest I am extremely worried as this chap does not look anything like this pic. Unless his picture is really old. But thanks all the same. I will pray for the best on day 23.

@Start-Capetown0,

Have you tried these steps?

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Start-Capetown0
Level 2

Thank you Dave, you have been most helpfull. I feel somewhat relieved and will follow the necassary and take better care in future

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Start-Capetown0,

It appears (in my opinion) someone may be taking advantage of you and they know you are new to Airbnb.  I would highly recommend doing a lot of research and one post which I highly recommend you read is from Deborah who has some great posts over at her GlobalHosting Forum. (This will take you to the first post I would read).  As she states:

"Have a security deposit that will be adequate to cover damages. Do NOT assume that the Host Guarantee will cover these -- it will not. The Airbnb “Host Guarantee” is NOT meant to cover routine damages to property – it is for vandalism, burglary, and criminal acts – really serious, unusual circumstances.To read about a case that was covered by HOst Guarantee see here -- a case where host was burglarized by a guest".

I think you have a right to ask for documentation from any of your guests.  It is your property and you have a right to know who is staying there.  

One last thing , a lot of hosts, including myself, will not rent to people who are local.  You may also look at your Landlord and Tenancy Acts for your area and found how long a person has to rent for to be considered a "tenant".  This is important as it could be hard to get rid of people over 28 days in some places.  If you rent to people who are travelling, they are less likely to stay beyond their checkout date.  I am thinking this person also knows what he is doing since he somehow got you to give him a 40% discount.

I hope things work out for you with your first guest but I do worry.  Please keep us updated and if you see any problems, be sure to contact Airbnb to have your guest removed if it comes to that.

Happy Hosting!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host