"Moderate" Cancellation Policy

Dylan124
Level 1
Madison, WI

"Moderate" Cancellation Policy

I'm very confused about the cancellation policy. For a moderate policy, it says full refund within 48 hours of booking AND 7 days prior to a stay. This doesn't make sense. How can it be both?

I have a stay coming up that's about a month and a half away that I need to cancel. Will I get a full refund? It's a moderate policy. Airbnb does not clearly explain this. They need to figure out their wording so it's more clear to consumers. 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dylan124  Many people seem to be confused by this, but it does make sense in the following way- If you had made a booking yesterday for 3 days from now (rather than the month and half you still have until the check-in date) and decided to cancel it today (within 48 hours) you would not be eligible for a full refund because that would only leave the host 3 days to try to get a new booking, otherwise they'd have a dead day. 

In your case, you are well within the 5 day limit (it's 5 days, not 7, unless they have recently changed that), but I'm assuming that you are past the 48 hour mark. So you won't get a full refund- Airbnb will retain the fees you paid but the booking itself, as well as the cleaning fee, if there was one,  will be refunded. The host has nothing to do with this, so if you want to take issue with losing the Airbnb fees, talk to Airbnb, not the host.