refunding a guest

Francesca146
Level 2
Oberlin, OH

refunding a guest

A guest would like me to refund them after they checked in because they say their son is wheezing due to a smell of mold.  However both my Mom and husband are allergic to mold and do not wheeze in our home.  Additionally other guests have not complained of this happeneding.  Is refunding 50% reasonable?  Thank you for your help!

Francesca

10 Replies 10
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Francesca146

If the alleged allergy is really a problem, they will want to cancel. For appearance sake I'd tend to refund them something, but 50% for one third of the party seems a tad steep.

If they only want a refund without cancelling, then it starts looking (even more) like an attempt to get something cheaper.

Thank you for your reply.  They are asking for a refund.  So that is why I am concerned with how much I should be refunding. 

And they have already moved the son to a different location.  I am also out of town so it is a bit hard to discern the actual level of smell...

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Do not refund them yourself. Do not cancel yourself.

With a pained smile tell them how sorry you are and they can absolutely cancel the remainder of their reservation through airbnb and put in a refund claim through the airbnb resolution center. 

Thank you James for your reply.  But then will Airbnb ask us for a refund? 

Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

Hi Amanda - the guests should notify Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in per policy and with your "strict" cancellation status, they are not due a refund unless they go through the resolution center I believe.  It is the guests responsibility to initiate the cancellation and complaint.  Thanks, Roger

Thank you Roger for this information!

So I should ignore the recommendations on airbnb website about working on a refund with guest first?

Vivi3
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Vivi3
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Hallo good people, may I introduce myself, my name is Vivi and I'm from Indonesia.

I'm new  in Airbnb, and 2 months ago I had some guests, so there was a problem with the hot water at the first night and then I gave her a refund. Was thinking all is good in the resolution centre, because it said payment successfully processed. And suddenly yesterday she messaged me and said that she did not get the money yet.  Please if anyone could help me with this problem. 

Thank you.

( and sorry for my bad English )