refunds when a host cancels

Elizabeth90
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

refunds when a host cancels

why do i pay an airbnb service fee when my host cancels?  this is not fair.  I should not pay a fee if the host cancels.  i did not want to get a credit, but wanted a full refund .  I find it very annoying that there is nowhere on the site that I can actually ask airbnb staff to answer this question.   It is very time consuming trying to get an answer to a query like this.  My airbnb fee was $24 for cancelling, when the actual cancellation has caused a lot of inconvenience to me, having to find another place on the May long weekend.  Why should i be paying for this inconvenience when the host changes their minds????

1 Reply 1
ZenHomes0
Level 10
Singapore

@Elizabeth90 did your host really cancel it, or did the host tell you to cancel the reservation? If your host cancels it, you are entitled to a full refund of the service fees. You can find out more here

From the site

Guest service fee

We add a percentage-based service fee to guest payments every time a reservation is booked. This helps cover the cost of running our site and services.

The exact percentage depends on the subtotal of the reservation. The higher the subtotal, the lower the percentage so you can save money when booking large reservations. You'll see the exact amount in the price breakdown on the checkout page before you confirm and pay, and on your billing receipt.

If you cancel a reservation you booked as a guest, the service fee is non-refundable. If your reservation is canceled by the host and you choose to be refunded, the service fee is refunded in full.