unfair review from host

Zoe70
Level 1
Patchway, United Kingdom

unfair review from host

Hello everyone,

It's my first time posting on here.

I've just received my first bad review from a host and it sounds silly but I find it quite upsetting, mostly because I think they aren't cut out to host and secondly because I think it's not true.

She said I left the kitchen and bathroom in a mess and that I wrote on her bedside table. All untrue. I didn't cook or use the kitchen whilst I was there. The bathroom light went midway through my stay and there were no windows and I couldn't see, but I know I didn't do anything that I shouldn't have. I certainly didn't draw on her furniture. She also said I left late, but she agreed to it via the messenger.

I contacted her and said I've sent a message to airbnb because I thought it was an inaccurate review. She has since sent me pictures of what looks like a clear liquid on top of her bedroom furniture. She also said I left a strong smell behind, which was actually my medicated ointment. She said she told airbnb I had left a terrible mess and they asked for evidence to request compensation from me but she let it go. I don't know what the liquid on top of the furniture could be, but looks like it could have been cleared up in a minute, which isn't that bad? I don't know what compensation she would have got.

I didn't because a review because I didn't have anything positive to say and I thought  I'd be kind and not leave a negative review. From my perspective, she left my keys at a bar across the road for me. The owner didn't care and wasn't willing to give me the keys. I was panicking when I called her. The light went out and she didn't have time to get an electrician to fix it because she was working. She said I didn't respond to be but I did when I could, considering I travel to sight see not to be messaging her non stop. She said I could leave late because my flight was cancelled the complained about it. I've never had a bad review and I'm quite shocked, because it seems like she just wants the money but none of the hard work that goes into hosting.

What can I do? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Zoe70 I would recommend that you respond to the review giving your side to the story.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/32/can-i-delete-or-respond-to-a-review-i-disagree-with

This way a future host looking at the review will get the entire picture of what happened and can ask you about it.  

Zoe70
Level 1
Patchway, United Kingdom

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking of doing that, but I really hate that a host can behave like that. I think I put up with a lot during my stay and I was trying to be understanding. Do you think airbnb are likely to step in?

@Zoe70. In this case it is your word against the host's so won't intervene.  Airbnb is quite strict about not removing reviews unless they violate Airbnb's content policy.  You best recourse is to reply to the review.  

Here's Airbnb's content policy: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

**Airbnb won't intervene**

Zoe70
Level 1
Patchway, United Kingdom

Even though I have messages from her saying it's ok to leave later and she's put that in the negative review as problematic?

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Zoe70 Well you can certainly try to contact Airbnb about the review.  If the host gave you permission to later than the check out time, Airbnb may take that into consideration.  Use this link to contact Airbnb and mention that in Airbnb's messaging the host gave you this permission: 

www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us