what can I do if guests left the house in a mess?

Annette853
Level 1
BI, Germany

what can I do if guests left the house in a mess?

Hello - my lasts guests left the house in a mess. I already wrote a 'bad feedback' for them - but I don't know if there is perhaps a possibility to get money back from a 'security guaranty'? Usually it takes 2-3 hours to clean/ prepare the house for the next guests - now we needed more than double of the time. And it was really 'ugly' - not nice for the 'cleaning woman' -

thanks for help - regards - Annette

6 Replies 6

@Annette853  There is no security guaranty on Airbnb. You could send a request for additional payment to the guest, but of course they will decline it. If you then chose to proceed with Airbnb mediation, you'd need to provide at least an itemized  invoice from a professional cleaning service specifying how much of the bill was "excess." After a few weeks of waiting, there's a small chance that Airbnb will grant you a really tiny sum that can't possibly be worth the hassle.

Annette853
Level 1
BI, Germany

Hello Andrew - thanks for your reply - thats what I expected that there is no real chance. I have sent a request with additional payment to the guests but no reaction. Anyhow - thanks for your help - best regards - Annette

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Annette853 

From my experience, Airbnb will not charge a guest for additional fees unless the guest agrees to it. So, if the guest ignores or declines the request, I am not sure there is much you can do about it. I had a guest ignore a request for a fee she had agreed to, so I escaped it to Airbnb. She didn't respond to them either and they said there was nothing more they could do as they needed her permission.

Extra cleaning was added to Aircover, but it seems to only apply to 'deep cleaning' according to the only wording I could find in the Help centre about it. Not sure if your situation required 'deep cleaning'?

Annette853
Level 1
BI, Germany

Yes - seams to be difficult or no chance to get anything after check out. Need to find another solution for this for the future. But thanks for your help/ experiences. regards - Annette

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Annette853 

I read a post from another host where they said they offered a refundable cleaning fee. So, if the guests left the place in a good condition, they got the fee back. It seemed to work for that host, but I am not 100% convinced it's a good idea, because you could just end up with the guests disputing it and leaving you bad reviews if you don't return it all.

Annette853
Level 1
BI, Germany

thanks for this info - yes but I also think it's too complicate - will find another solution for the future - thanks for help - Annette