wifi

Misi0
Level 2
Western Cape, South Africa

wifi

I have had my cottage on airbnb for just over a year. I am getting guests booking longer stays, and they literrally just stay at the cottage most of the time - and had the first time ever encounter that my wifi was depleted. I have capped fast internet 150GB per month. (they throttle uncapped in South Africa and it is slower) I had guests in for a week and the data was depleted by the 25th of the month. Top ups in South Africa are extremely expensive and spend a gross amount of money to activate it for the remainder of the month. I can upgrade my package but it is also getting very expensive, and I'm not sure if it was a one time thing. My problem is the new guests booking after the incident made a comment about it and how direly they need internet. This is the priority thing - and it comes at a cost - and my cottage is really affordable as I make use of the payment gauge Airbnb supply - but as a host is this really fair?

I offer off street parking, complete privacy with a quaint garden, 100% linen bedding, plush towels, coffees and teas, toiletries for $35 per night? Where or how do you place the value? I am asking because a lot of people comment on the "great value" but a lot of people tell me it is too cheap.

3 Replies 3
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Misi0

I know nothing of the Western Cape, South Africa STR market, so your intensive personal research, is needed here, as well as any input from other SA hosts.

I use to have about 150GB per month here in Oz per month. That was dramatically consumed depending on the guests. For us, we may be the first opportunity for photo uploads etc. Also remember, data is quickly consumed if a guest connects for gaming.  

I decided a couple of years ago, if I was serious about offering wifi, then I needed an unlimited plan. You can’t have lots for one and nothing for another.

Mostly, consider your pricing and absorb the costs within your daily rates, and remember, it is a tax expense.

Noting: a slow internet system will not assist you with positive reviews.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Misi0. One thing you also need to consider is that unless you are in a remote location with difficult or periodic internet connection, or “selling” your homestay as off the beaten track; globally, guests do expect reasonably fast and continous wifi.

You may wish to charge for it as user pays and make that known, but personally, unless you set it up that you can monitor hourly / daily use, and final use at checkout, it’s just better to hide and absorb the cost in your rate.

Hope this helps...

🙂

Cathie

Cynthia475
Level 5
California, United States

When I put my first condo on the vacation market, I upgraded to faster internet than most of my competition was using and I put it in the listing.  I think that if someone is comparing very similar listings, this is a feature that someone that needs to work while on vacation would appreciate.  So far it has been worth it, no complaints.  I look at it as the cost of doing business.  

If the next guest coming commented on needing to use the internet while visiting, you will want to get that squared away prior to their arrival.  Otherwise you already know what their first comment on their less than 5 star review will be.

I would do some reserarch in your local market to make sure that you are competitvely priced and look at what others are offering.  I am always checking in on my "competition".  Sometimes to look at their pricing to make sure that we are competitve but also to read their reviews to make sure that if their guests have mentioned something  that they really like or dislike, I make sure to address that (or add if possible) before it becomes my problem too.  I feel that knowing your competition is one of the best ways to grow your business.