1099 issue

1099 issue

Airbnb just released our 1099 tax form and it has the income assigned to the wrong tax payer! 

I have tried calling into the airbnb host helpline and nobody is able to give me an answer on fixing this document.  I am getting concerned because the incorrect taxpayer is an ailing parent and I want to make sure that the income is assigned to me and not her SSN. 

This is especially frustrating given the timeline.  Tax season is approaching and Airbnb support for tax issues seem non-existent.

Does anybody have a direct contact or escalted phone number to Airbnb to address these sort of issues?

8 Replies 8
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Kelsey-And-Jean0 I saw that you posted this on Reddit as well.

If you go into the search function here, and type in the word "contact" you'll find various posts with all kinds of contact info for Airbnb.  On Reddit, the top part of the page is "info for hosts" and then a separate area "info for guests", and on that platform, that's the area to look for contact info.

Good luck.

thank you! i haven't had any luck with those yet 😞

i'm hoping someone from airbnb can see my post and get me in touch with the right department!

@Kelsey-And-Jean0 , nobody from the official Airbnb help desk will check in here or is able to help you on this site. Under the contact suggestion you got above, scroll down until you find Dave and Debs post about contacting Airbnb. it is the most extensive and best there is. it has the rigt phone numbers also. good luck!

Meghan49
Level 1
Plainfield, IL

Kelsey and Sean, 

Was this form mailed to you or emailed? I still haven’t gotten a form! 

Meghan

remember - you have to do $20,000 AND 200 reservations for a 1099 - so if you didn't meet both of those thresholds - you won't receive one. and it's all on your payout methods screen. nothing is mailed.

you should be able to call airbnb and ask if your account was issued a 1099. 

hope that helped!

Is the 20K and 200 transactions rule for 1099 to be issued on a per Airbnb account basis or per assigned taxpayer's listings within an account on Airbnb?

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Robert962 It's per tax payer ID. Also some states required AirBnB to issue a 1099 for any rentals over $600 per year VT and MA are two of them I know of. 

Jeff570
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Good luck guys, I have the same problem income assigned to wrong person, me. And they basicly refuse to help or put anybody on the phone that can help, it is just a shame as a host you rate a zero in airbnb's eyes.  They are not even capable of providing info moving forward so it dont happen next year not even a hint of where to go to read a person to call nothing! The thing is I realize I must of done something wrong and tell them this & they offer up nothing?