4 infants......

Kim610
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

4 infants......

Has anyone else had guests that try to abuse the infants number? My most recent run in with is was a guest that said they had 4 infants. I wish Airbnb would give control to the host as to how to handle infants. (That they add up in the total guest count if the host requires so)

At 2 of my listings, it is a a strict maximum number of guests of 6. Every human counts (due to our HOA community rules). I get a request for 6 adults and 2 infants then the guest gets angry that I can't accept their reservation. Sigh.

5 Replies 5
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kim610 you CAN say that infants must be counted in your House Rules!!!

A person's a person no matter how small...

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kim610I specify that infants count on my cottage as well... the rental agreement for my area must allow no more than 8 guests total, and it doesn't matter the age. I haven't had any issues with enforcing the rule. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kim610 

check off " no infants" and your problem is solved 🙂 

You can add in your house rules and in your description that you accept infants if they are booked as "children" and charged like children and adults.

Guests can't book for more adults and children than your max No of guests.

When Airbnb introduced it's "up to 5 free infants" rule, they didn't make a favor to families with infants, on the contrary.  More and more hosts don't accept infants due to the reason you just explained.

Kim610
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions on how to mitigate the issue. Much appreciated and will be implementing to my listing (house rules).

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Kim610 

I get a request for 6 adults and 2 infants then the guest gets angry that I can't accept their reservation. Sigh.

It's not just that... With infants come cots (cribs?). Parents will always want their infant near them at night so in multi-room accommodation unless the booking guest is astute and books your listing understanding where the cot will go then there could be some uncomfortable adults in a cot crowded room which hosts would not want the responsibility for - but would get it.

Only one of our rooms would ideally be suitable for a cot, but we have no input into suggesting how sleeping arrangements are made for guests and in fairness, we don't get told the relationships of the guests to advise, let alone who the guests are unless we press for this beforehand.

It should be clearly stated on Airbnb that infants constitute a person count, however currently, guests will still try to cram in as many as possible just to save costs.