A Guests' Mistaken Identity & Damages?

Alissa5
Level 2
United States

A Guests' Mistaken Identity & Damages?

A very strange thing happend this last weekend. Firstly, "Ashley" booked my home for the weekend. I got emails from Airbnb confirming this and then prompting me to leave "Ashley" a review. But, when I left my review, it was for "Anthony," and all my previous correspondences with "Ashley" are now listed as interactions with "Anthony." "Anthony" was also the person who left me a review. So I have emails from Airbnb that document that "Ashley" was here, but the current identity on the Airbnb website of this user is now "Anthony."

What's going on? Can a guest just change their identity in the middle of a stay? 

Further, this guest--and probably some friends--smoked a major amount of pot all over my very clearly designated NON-SMOKING house. WTF? They actually seem to have hotboxed the entire guest bedroom (replete with washcloth left over the air vent, and tobacco leaves, pot, and ash strewn about). So there are damages to be dealt with since the rug, pillows, and drapes all stink like crazy.

I would like to think that this guest came here for the weekend for a sex change and was celebrating with friends...but even so, I feel majorly disrespected that I have to deal with the smoke damage.

3 Replies 3
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I'm honestly not sure what to say, as um fairly new to this myself. Could be worth it to file a claim on the damage deposit (if you require one). 

That said, it has me wondering if one can purchase airplane style smoke detectors, that can detect cigarette smoke, instead of just fires, and burning toast. 

Steve
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

HI @Alissa5 Yikes! I'm not sure if Ashley had a sex change over the week-end, it's kind of you to give her/him the benefit of the doubt but the whole thing just stinks of shenanigans to me - really it just sounds like your place was chosen for a week-end party. He/she knew he/she would get a bad review so will likely dump that profile right away. I'd suggest giving a thumbs down this guest, flag the profile and open up a request for extra cleaning costs in the Resolution Centre. She/he broke a House Rule and you will have to put in additional time to get the smoke smell out. Hopefully you'll at least be able to recover your costs for cleaning/fumigating your place.

The Anthony/Ashley thing is just dodgy. It's someone who isn't being honest about their true identity. In your case, you know why - after this, they'd never be able to get another place on Airbnb. Give an honest review but chances are this person, whoever they are, is just going to disappear. I'm really sorry this happened to you - Karen

perhaps a user that allowed someone else to stay for some reason...