A Superhost No More :-(

Rene17
Level 3
California, US

A Superhost No More :-(

I have been a superhost for the last year. Now I got an email stating I didn't make it this time around. Here are my "stats":

What to work on
Requirement
You - 4.7
Target - 4.8

Overall rating: 4.8
Superhosts are known and loved for the outstanding hospitality they provide guests.

What you’re doing well

Response rate
Got - 100%
Aim For - 90%

Cancellations
Got - 0/yr
Aim For - 0/yr

Trips hosted
Got - 18
Aim For - 10

Trips reviewed
Got - 72%
Aim For - 50%

So I am over and above all the items shown above (what I'm doing well) but I still didn't get my Superhost title. I think that's really crappy!!!! It really doesn't make sense!!!!! 

19 Replies 19

@Rene17 wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses. Sorry Ute, but I believe I can write a response to the replies to my own post. It seems everyone has taken what was said incorrectly so apparently I didn't write things clearly. I did NOT demand any money from him!!! In fact I told him to never mind and just enjoy his vacation. He made the choise to leave the $8.00 with my property managers. I didn't even know he had done that until after he left. I have had more than a few guests break, or steal, things and haven't even said anything to them about it. Others have volunteered to pay without anyone saying anything about what they did. One intentionally plugged the toilets up so they could ask for a refund!!! I did give them a partial refund even though it was very obvious it was done intentionally. Apparently, in this one case (Petr), it just didn't go well. He also stated other things in his review that weren't true. So for that ONE I get punished I guess. So far it hasn't caused anything negative as my bookings are doing just fine. I guess I'll see how it goes in the future. I do whatever I can for my guests from start to finish. My property managers are awesome and go out of their way for the guests, also. We try to be kind and understanding and not be negative and mean when we speak to others. I would hope that that would be the case all the time with others. Especially host to host (since I would think they might relate) but I guess, sometimes, meaness is just in some people's natures. There's nothing that can be done about that. Peace out 🙂

I am totally in the same situation and I find the new rating system is unfair and misleading, or airbnb has done it purposely as I will explain how the new overall rating means to your listing.

It is a new number game that designed to drop almost everyone's superhost status.

If you have noticed, the new overal rating required 4.8 and is based on the % of 1* 2* 3* 4* 5* 

This means even if the guest gave you all bages, all 5 stars in location, cleaningness, accuracy...etc, it does not contribute to overall rating.

So Airbnb will ask the guest to rate the host based on these merits.

How was you stay with the host?

1.very bad 2.bad 3.okay 4.good 5.great

the formula is, to maintain 4.8, you will need

3X5* + 1X4* = 4.8* from 4 differeny guest who is willing to put time to give you a review.

So if you happened to receive a 3* from an annoying guest, you will need 7X5* to maintain 4.8*

what if you are unlucky enough to receive a 1* overall rating, guess what, you need 19X5* reviews to actually cover the azz for this 1* rating.

Since the new system started, I have received many review with 4* overall rating but has 5 stars in each every catogery and all 6 bages, and it drops my superhost really fast.

I talked to airbnb supoort, the answer from them is not helpful, the cso said it is based on every different country calture, some people think 4* is good, some people think 5* is good.

So this is intentional, i suspect Airbnb did iy purposely, so more host will drop superhost and in need to purchase for airbnb plus subscription.

After hearing my break down, what do you think?

73宿0
Level 2
Osaka, JP

This is a example of an unfair review.

Guest knows there is only a bathroom, and I have stated clearly under the description, this home is best to accommodate 6 people include children, but it is the guest who want to squeeze 8 person.

You can see the overall rating is 4*, but all category is perfect.

IMG_20181224_161337.jpg

I know. The entire rating system just doesn't make sense to me. I know they said they will start it in a new way but, still, I seem to be above what they require and still no superhost status. It hasn't hurt my rentals, though, so I really don't care anymore to be honest. It's not worth stressing over.

It seems that no matter what information you give to some guests, they don't pay attention to it. I have specific driving directions from the airport to my place and yet, one guest said there were NO directions at all!!! Others ask me things that are specifically in the welcome package I send as soon as they book. That tells me they don't bother reading what I send. But they will still say I didn't tell them! 

Just keep doing your best and be honest about what you offer to guests. Being proud of what you offer and getting great reviews is what counts. 

Happy Holidays!!!

Janet392
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I have a 4.9 rating on AirBnB and have hosted over 1200 nights, but I just found out that I am about to loose my superhost status due to the 50% annual benchmark. This is quite absurd . My level of service hasn't gone down, and I cannot force people to write reviews. 

Also the time window for this requirement shifts constantly. So whilst I was fine at the last review, with over 70%. I am suddenly below it because I have had a busy 3 months.

Surely, AirBnB should be aware that this will just encourage listing on other platforms? It seems like the system is more interested in pulling out the rug from under my feet with each step I take!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Janet392 you are not going to loose it, it is a glitch and Airbnb is working on fixing it.