Add " N/A" To Star Ratings

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

Add " N/A" To Star Ratings

Add " N/A" Not Applicable category, to hosts and guests  star ratings , this will help with bookings when guests or hosts cancell and they still need to leave a review. For example in a situation where a review is prompted of the guest or host and the guest did not arrive then "N/A" would only apply to all the categories except for communication ( Accuracy N/A, Cleanliness N/A, location N/A, Check in N/A, Value N/A ). And the option should only be used with  cancellations and if there is review prompt thereafter. Instructions can be given to use "N/A" only when a booking was cancelled, to make it even easier there can be a check box with the wording " Was this reservation cancelled?" if so, when the guests or hosts checks of that box a communication star rating will only appear. 

Any thoughts?

Rubén
14 Replies 14
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Seems as if it might work, @Rubén16

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

On second thought, @Rubén16, no. I would like to stick to the policy. A guest and host can review a cancelled reservation IF the guest shows up. If not, the guest and host are to ignore the prompts to review. That's what I have been sticking to like glue. 

The very first booking I had was a no show - he texted me at the last minute saying he'd made alternate plans. I wanted to review him to state that he had been communicative, but once I started down the path, I couldn't skip portions of the review that didn't apply (e.g., cleanliness). I feel badly reviewing him on something that didn't apply, but I didn't know how else to handle it. Do you have any experience along these lines?

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Claire769  If you do not do a review it will lower your review percentage, what I do is review all a guests even if they are no shows or last minute cancellations.

That is why changing the review process to "N/A" for no shows and last minute cancellations is so important.

Rubén
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rubén16

I like your idea very much, for guests that do not show up. However, if the guest arrives and then leaves because the place was dirty, not at all as described etc. that is a different matter.

Also, you mentioned the review rate. From what I understand, your rating does not go down if you don’t leave a review. The rating is based on the percentage of your guests that leave a review for you. That’s stupid obviously as the host cannot force guests to leave reviews and you will find many posts on the CC complaining about that, but that’s the way it is for now.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Rubén16  AGREE! - Have messaged Airbnb about this, when they changed review to multiple pages. As a host, I previously COULD give a star rating for "communication" to no-show-ers, & leave "cleanliness" & "house rules" blank - when the review was all on 1 page. Now it's multiple pages, you have to give spurious star ratings in all catagories in order to proceed.... (So I give 5* for cleanliness & house rules cos they did not transgress, not having been here! But they don't deserve!) The Airbnb employee messaged back "Thank you for raising a genuine issue" - He would! Said he'd pass it on to the relevent team.... No change yet!! 

@Claire769    You could him all 5's and say: Robert was communicative regarding his cancellation.  In the spirit of believing the best in people until I know different,  I am giving him 5 stars in all categories because Airbnb mandates I rate him even even though he didn't stay here and I never met him.

Nela15
Level 2
Solihull, United Kingdom

This has happened to me recently - it was my first cancellation with a payout for the first night and I was amazed I had to review the guest. He had let me know he couldn’t come after all but really there was nothing to say. I like this idea 

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Nela15 @Claire769  Sounds great, do not forget to give a thumbs up (like) at the top of the post, hopefully we can have this review option changed.

Rubén
Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

As per Airbnb's own content policy, "Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions" are in violation of the policy.

Giving any star rating or comment on any factor that was not experienced is a violation of the content policy, so it's surprising Airbnb as us to do this.

Actually, it's not surprising as Airbnb fail in may areas.

That's what I was thinking too - How am I supposed to adhere to ABB's policy if I don't have an appropriate option? ABB needs to add these rating options, especially as they expand their booking options.

Searching here for advice on no-shows and the option of N/A option seems sensible. I've been hosting since November in my own home and pretty much fully booked. So last week's overnight guest, who went awol without notification, leaves me with a puzzle. Communication was obviously poor and I couldn't recommend, but how do I rate cleanliness? Perfect as no cleaning was required afterwards?

Also being obliged to rate a guest who arrives at 11pm and checks out before 7am the following day will need some imagination. I'd like to keep a 100% review rate without having to resort to fiction or being unduly harsh on someone who may have had unavoidable problems. And I got paid anyway.

@Colin237   The review rate is only applicable to guest's reviews of you, as far as I understand.

But if you want to review/rate 100% of your guests, including no-shows, you could write in the review:

" I didn't meet them, they didn't show-up, but  being obliged to rate them unseen and unmet  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt with 5 stars for  (or less as regards communication if they didn't tell you they were going to be a no-show, and less for rules if you have rules about guests communicating changes to their plans).   As for those who come and go and you never see them (or briefly) just write that and rate them on the categories.

Thank you for the suggested text for no-shows. For brief encounters star ratings are appropriate and the comment "hardly knew they were here" may be used.