Additional information request.

Helen71
Level 2
Exmouth, Australia

Additional information request.

Hi,

We accepted a booking recently. And as per usual, we asked our guest for some additional information so that we could enter him into our main business booking system. Our system requires email, phone, address to make it a confirmed booking in our property management system. We cannot put an Airbnb booking through without it. And frankly, in the past when we have asked our guests they are all understanding and happily provide some or all of the information.

With the recent booking, he is refusing to offer any information as he says this is in contradiction to the Airbnb policy for personal information. He is now asking for us to cancel his booking from our end and privide him with a FULL refund. This is not our cancellation policy (Strcit 50% policy). 

I dont want to be a meany, but I dont know if I want this guest anyway now! He is being very polite, but the fact that we dont have any details on him, and he is unwilling to provide any, I am a bit dubious about his authenticity. 

Does anyone know if this is in contradiction to the Airbnb policy? Asking for contact info....

Does anyone else collect some basic contact info from their guests? I know some hosts ask for a photocopy of a drivers license!

Should I give him his full refund or stick to my guns and give him what MY cancellation policy states?

Any advice guys! Thanks

Helen

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Helen71. No, requesting personal details is not in contradiction - you, as a hotelier of some kind, have a legal right to request those details. And you may point it out to the guest. If you prefer to cancel it, get Airbnb involved and ask them to handle the case, because if you cancel there will still be a problem with Airbnb's fee on the guest's side.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

wise words Marzena, it is all about trust.

Good to know that asking for personal details in NOT in contradiction to Airbnb policy, I couldnt find anything in their terms stateing such. 

Will think on the cancellation side of things. 

H x

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Hello @Helen71,

As a house rule, I always request my guests to provide a digital copy of their National Identification. If my guest doesnt agree, they shouldnt be able to reserve my place and if in any case they do, they must cancel the reservation themselves.

I once had a guest calling Airbnb regarding this issue, Airbnb told him he must accept it since it is a house rule clearly placed in my listing.

Maybe you could warn your potential guests by adding it in your listing´s information.