AirBnB misleading guests regarding check-in time

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

AirBnB misleading guests regarding check-in time

I've always wondered why guests are so stupid they cannot understand the concept of check-in time. Turns out, it's not their fault. AirBnB is giving them the option to select check-in times that are inconsistent with the listing. And why should the guest question it? If they are able to select whatever check-in time they want while making a booking, then it is reasonable for them to expect they should be able to come at their selected time. 

When AirBnB presents the check-in selection screen to the guests, the impossible times should be removed. And this shouldn't be too complicated, since both hosts and guests select check-in times from a menu. After the host has made a selection and defined the check-in window, then the menu presented to guests should EXCLUDE times that are not within that check-in window. I've called AirBnB many times about this over the last 2 years, but as usual, they are more interested in expanding into petting zoos and therapy animals than sorting out issues with their core product.

The 3 attached screenshots show the following: a) My check-in time is 3PM; b) I got a request this morning for an 8AM check-in; c) When viewing my own property from my guest account, the check-in times displays go from the current time onwards, irrespective of the host's settings.These are the options shown to guests. Notice the phone's time - 12:30PM. All times after that current time are shown as an option.These are the options shown to guests. Notice the phone's time - 12:30PM. All times after that current time are shown as an option.Check-in time is 3PM, checkout is 11AMCheck-in time is 3PM, checkout is 11AMGuests are able to select check-in times that are even before the check-out time of the previous guests! How stupid is that???Guests are able to select check-in times that are even before the check-out time of the previous guests! How stupid is that???

22 Replies 22
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Airbnb: This is obviously a really dumb thing to be doing, and it is misleading to guests - the people you care most about (most hosts who have been around here awhile have already figured out that we are little more than 'chopped liver'). 

Please fix this. For your guests' sake. Why set them up for disappointment and ill will toward their host?

@Sean95    I have often wondered why some guests seem so boneheaded. Many a time I have found out that Airbnb is the cause of this, even to the point of encouraging confusion and misunderstanding.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sean95 

Very disappointed that Airbnb has not fixed this problem.

Last year, I got a distressing call from Airbnb at noontime. Airbnb said the guest found my listing was dirty...  I was so perplexed until I realized that guest had come early before turnover!

Sure enough, he choose the 11-1 window for checkin.

I can't remember if I was paid or not for that cancellation. But it irks me that Airbnb promotes this bad guest experience.

Jay495
Level 2
St Petersburg, FL

I had this situation arise just this past week. I contact Airbnb support and they were of zero help. I submitted it as a bug report / logic error. Even though we offer self checkin, I do like that guests can specify their arrival time window - but it is misleading to allow them to choose windows outside of the configured listing checkin window.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Jay495 

That's why I always write on the first message:

"...

Please note that check-in is from 15:00 and check-out is until 12:00 (noon).

..."

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Ricardo85  I always do the same thing in my welcome message. This way people never get confused. 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

I was always wondering why the guests are so stupid until I found out they think the only person, who is stupid, is the host! Who would not want to check in as early as they can for free? And then demand VIP treatment and show "the proof" - their check-in time frame on Airbnb.

That's all results in:

Guest can't check-in and waiting at the door. Just imagine what kind of horrible review he will leave and most probably will not use Airbnb again!

Misunderstandings and conflicts. Every time I see guest wants to check-in at 12 noon, I already know that there will be a very big conflict.

And again I am thinking to end up working with Airbnb, because I only had problems with that incorrect time. To the point that the guest abused me and EVERY guest left bad review. 

Airbnb is losing money in the end of the day...

Crystal254
Level 2
Toronto, CA

@Sean4I just came across this issue for the first time, also note I am only into my second month of hosting. 

I had a guest book the other day.  I did not receive the two hour check in time with the booking (which is another issue, I receive them sometime and don't the other times).  I sent the guest a message to ask what time they would be checking in and they advised 10-11AM.  My check-in time is after 1PM.  The guest then advised me they choose this in the booking.

I called airbnb support and they were 100% useless!  The airbnb support person kept talking about inquires.  This guest did not inquire at all! 

My check-out time is 12 noon.  My check-in time is 1PM.  This allows me 1 hour to reset the room (I come home on my lunch).  If I had never of asked the guest what time they were checking in they would have showed up at 10AM while my other guest was still there! 

And in the end I would of ended up with two poor reviews I'm sure.

Airbnb needs to correct this.  Block out the times that are unavailable before check-in!