AirBnB response to ransacked apartment and stolen items

Sharlene13
Level 1
Western Australia, Australia

AirBnB response to ransacked apartment and stolen items

I am gobsmacked by the lack of response, care and aid provided by Airbnb in a situation involving a hosting experience where my house was ransacked and valuable items stolen along with many other items including passports, bank details and tax information. I had to tell my story four times to various representatives that follow a robotic procedure before one of them have followed through and assisted my case. I asked to speak to the supervisor and was told that he could not offer any aid as I had to follow the procedure given. Basically nobody cared. In a situation as distressing as this was that’s all I really needed someone on the other end of the phone to speak to me in my distress and guide me through the aftermath. The police have been invaluable in this instance providing that personal instruction.

Just to set expectations for others that Airbnb is not there for you in such circumstances and you will have to fight your way and be on their case every step of the to get the help and assistance you desperately require in such a time. It has been a highly disappointing experience and an incredible let down in the faith that Airbnb is a helping community. Since my situation I have read articles in the media about similar stories where Airbnb has profusely apologised and made promising hopes of better procedures and practices in such situations from what I can see these are empty words and nothing more than to blanket bad publicity. 

2 Replies 2
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hello @Sharlene13. I’m so sorry you have had a robbery and loss of identity information.

How on earth did this happen? Items in a space can essentially be stolen at any time, and we pray it never does. But I’m seriously concerned how they would have access to what should be a secured personal space for your banking details and passports etc.

Did they access your personal information via a computer’s firewall?

😞

Cathie

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sharlene13 I’m so sorry you had a bad experience. I don’t think I would ever keep anything I couldn’t live without in a guest space, it is just too risky. I’ve been shocked to see some of what hosts leave behind when they hand over their space to utter strangers. I do very much hope that the police (& your insurance company) get some justice and restitution for you. 

Id be happy, but surprised, if abb were also helpful.