Airbnb Plus and Minuses

Jocelyn47
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Airbnb Plus and Minuses

New to the Comunity!   My husband and I turned our Seattle upper floor duplex rental  apartment to Airbnb last year in 2017.  Steve always wanted to run the perfect hotel after years of traveling....we went into the project with a Plus attitude before any mention of the 2018 public unveiling.

Seattle is the second wave of new cities added this fall and we had the Airbnb Plus photographer out today.   We were initially attracted to the idea of joining a group of hosts who really paid attention to the details of creating a distinct experience.  A large part of the process was not JUST curating the right furniture, art, Pacific Northwest vibe...but TELLING the personal story of our home and neighborhood. 

Steve spent hours crafting information for guests on our listing to better understand our “Private Sanctuary on Queen Anne Hill”.

Now we hear a copywriter in San Francisco will be streamlining our introduction!  Into three sentences no less.

Gone will be the additional pictures of our nearby retail businesses.  No need to share that the best city wine merchant is a block away.  Has that writer even been to Seattle, much less my Hood?   In an effort to make our home a Pinterest pinup...Have we given up all personal control.

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jocelyn47

Yes I am afraid that's what happens Jocelyn....you give up total control of your listing, and as an added bonus you will find the guests who do actually come to you will be very much harder to please....they are looking for something 'Plus' and their perception of what they get will be reflected by their observations in the review process.

This may not have been one of your wiser ways to spend $150!

I wish you luck Jocelyn, but gee, I think your breaking into superior hosting the hard way!

Cheers......Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Jocelyn47, ''We were initially attracted to the idea of joining a group of hosts who really paid attention to the details of creating a distinct experience. ''

You will find a great many hosts here do exactly this, but will never be Plus for various reason. As @Robin4 says, you have to surrender the presentation of your listing. I am surprised you were not aware beforehand.

Chad149
Level 2
Boone, NC

I am just glad I was able to read these post before proceding any futrther into the black howl of A+ status.  God only knows I have worked at 5star resorts for 9 years and WHAT was I thinking!!