Airbnb Plus - old listing?

Giulietta8
Level 2
Florence, Italy

Airbnb Plus - old listing?

My Plus listing is going live in a few days but I'm worried that it is going to be a disaster! My question is, if I opt out does my original listing return or do I have to do it all over again? Basically do I have to copy all my narratives and save my photos somewhere just in case or will it pop back to exactly how it was?

Thanks very much!

10 Replies 10
Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hi @Giulietta8 

I understand that your listing would revert back exactly as it was previously if you were to opt out.  However, it would do no harm to take a backup of all existing phtoso and listing details just to be on the safe side 🙂  

But don't worry, Plus can work out very well - we are very happy with ours since we went live in March (I do realize there are a lot of horror stories).  

Adam

@Stephen-and-Adam0 

Hi Adam, Compared to when you hosted before Plus how do your enquiries or bookings compare?

Hi @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

In general, I would say the booking levels have remained the same, even though we increased the pricing to cover some increases in service level offered to guests.  It has also been a lot easier to fill in gaps than before.  We also seem to get a lot of longer range bookings in advance - in fact, one group were enquiring for dates in summer 2021 haha!  

Adam

Thanks Adam,

You have a very stylish place there in Dublin @Stephen-and-Adam0 . I checked around Dublin to see what your competition was like and to me, it seems that a guest searching for accomodation in Dublin won't actually see your place unless they search 'Plus' is that correct? (by the same token - I have no idea how guests find us at all as we're not in the main tourist area and so don't list there (?) ).

If 'Plus' is separated from regular listings are you allowed double traffic by listing on both?

Giulietta8
Level 2
Florence, Italy

Thanks @Stephen-and-Adam0 that’s great to hear! I guess people always complain before praising so it’s nice to hear that it’s working out for you. I hadn’t heard a single positive experience!! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Giulietta8 

I understand your Plus listing will not be pubiclly viewable for a few days yet, so you have no comparison data as to what effect it will have on your views.  If you decide to proceed with the Plus listing keep a regular eye on the 'Views' page in your Progress section so you can guage the effect moving to Plus may have. Also in that section you will be able to see the booking to views percentage and you should be able to see within 3 months what the trends are going to be like.

You do have the right to opt out at any time, and if you do your listing will return exactly to what it was when you moved to Plus....whatever you decide ....good luck!

@Stephen-and-Adam0  I am glad Plus is working out for you, I personally am against it because it creates a class structure which is not neseccarilly performance based. But thanks for bringing it up and suggesting that you are having success with it. It would be great if, given the opportunity you would continue to post your experience and how it has been positive for you. We do need to get a balance of opinion and to this point most of what we are hearing about Plus is on the negative side.

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hi @Robin4 

100% agree with you on the creation of a class structure which is more design-based rather than performance/service level-based.  There are some Plus listings around  that really shouldn't be included and you can see it clearly when reading the reviews. 

We are lucky to be able to offer great design but also, more importantly, a dedicated Superhost attitude and consistent five-star service level.  It is abundantly clear you take the same approach having read some of the wonderful reviews of your beautiful property - great work!  By the way, I don't know South Australia very well but my dad lives in Yamba NSW 🙂  

Adam

Giulietta8
Level 2
Florence, Italy

Thank you so much @Robin4! That’s really helpful. I’m reluctant to let it go live because my bookings are fine and reviews too. I’m worried that the only thing it will do is create higher expectations. So undecided!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Giulietta8 

I assume it is your Coolangatta listing you are switching to Plus with Giulietta....and what a bloody great listing! That is truly a gem Giulietta! Surely you don't need Plus to sell that!

I don't want to always take a negative side where Plus is concerned....all through my life I have always been a glass half full person rather than a glass half empty one but, my feeling is that perception of yours will no doubt be correct.

It is just human nature,  Plus listings are being promoted as something better than the norm....something worth paying that bit extra for, so it stand to reason it is going to appeal to a harder to please guest....A guest who will require and expect that bit more. I also find the slick lack of detail in Plus profiles could lead to many more misconceptions about exactly what the guest is getting.

Giulietta we all want our properties to have the best exposure, and I did think about this long and hard when the concept first came around in 2017! I was invited to join the 'Select' scheme as it was then called. It was free but you could not apply to become a part of it, you were selected by performance and review quality. I declined to be involved, mainly because of that statement of yours. I thought it would lead to harder to please guests!

Maybe if I had a shiny new property where everything was in unused state I may have considered it. But the charm of my property is it's warts and all it's character, all it's musty smelling books. It has facilities that not a Plus listing on the planet has, like a 2.4 metre Queen bed with 6 electric motors in it for lift and massage. It looks opulent with it's 6 pillows.......but it doesn't look Plus material.

I have said this often before.....the less a guest expects, the more they will be surprised and delighted with what they get.

I wish you all the best with Plus Giulietta, I really do think In Airbnb crowded Europe you need to have all the tools you can muster at your disposal to keep those guests coming. But if you are having the great results you deserve with that Gold Coast listing.....I am not so sure!

I don't have your problems here, I list in the backblocks of nowhere and people just keep coming so, for me it would be a no-brainer to join Plus.....I don't have to!

But as I said, I wish you well.

Cheers......Rob 

@Robin4 Exactly my thoughts! It is the Gold Coast place that was selected and to be honest I’ve got plenty of interest without it. The furnishings are artistic and eclectic rather than new and sparkly so I’m worried a Plus guest may not appreciate that. The professional photos are lovely and clear but I think they give a different idea of the property and of course, the new narrative says nothing about the sunrises, sunsets and wildlife that really ‘make’ the place. Maybe I’ll postpone it for a little while until I have a dip in bookings...

Thanks so much for you advice, Rob 🙂