Airbnb...Your Push To Lower Our Rates Is Attracting The Worst Guests

Martin280
Level 10
New York, NY

Airbnb...Your Push To Lower Our Rates Is Attracting The Worst Guests

I've been a host for five years now and I have to say this past year I have had the worst guests of any of the previous years, bar none! I've felt like this push the last year to "promote your discounted rates" and "reduce your price and get a strikethrough presentation" "let guests book with only a verified profile" are all a push for airbnb to be cheaper and more accessible to more people. These tactics drive volume up for Airbnb but I think it's caused people to just think of airbnb as a cheap hotel substitute, especially those who've never used it, and show less respect for the fact it's our homes. I've had more damaged items, disrespectful guests, had to call the police for the first time on one, given more "I wouldn't recommend's" then ever and it's generally been the most difficult I've had as a host. I'm DREADING this January and February when rates are at their absolute lowest and I feel like it'll be awash in people thinking for $50 they own my apartment. I have held steadfast to my strict cancellation policy and I'm not partaking in bargain basement pricing strategies for my apartment and opening myself up for even more hassle for less money. I don't know what they can really do because they're running a business, but I wanted to share this and see if others were feeling similarly.

19 Replies 19

I feel your frustration. I tested out their 'smart pricing' feature. It was basically giving my place away. The listing can fetch as much as $400 per night on a weekend, they had rates posted at $70 (granted this was in January aka Hell Month). 

I compared my reservations with their price projections and I was making double what they were recommending, with 90% occupancy. I think you're onto to something though, they are clearly pivoting to be a mass market commodity, with the pricing to match. 

Yea I totally agree. And there's a lot more people with less money than more so them trying to get that market makes sense but I wonder about its viability long term if that experience for hosts isn't as positive.

We don’t lower our price ever and we ask a 2 day minimum stay, plus we block a day before and after.

We are way cheaper than the hotels and the guests feel they get a VERY good value at this price.  We enjoy more the praise and the 5s, than the money...if you can believe that. 

Yeah, I can believe it. Everyone hosts for their own reasons. 

Aanantika0
Level 1
Fremont, CA

Exactly this thing happened with me also