Airbnb Your hobby or Business?

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

Airbnb Your hobby or Business?

Hello Host,

How seriously do you take your Airbnb listings? 

Is it just a hobby you put minimum effort into OR are you serious about making this an income earning business? 

Really would like to receive your honest replys. 

35 Replies 35

@Lisa1831 

For Henry and me.... it's somewhere in between 🙂 

We take hosting responsibilities very seriously and do our best to provide a good, clean, comfortable room for our guest. After all..... we are being paid. At the same time, we both have full time jobs. We are not dependent on the hosting income at all.... it's just extra money we use to splurge on nice(r) things for our home. 

A good example is our coffee machine - we really splurged when buying it. Henry and I love it.... and all our coffee drinking guests have commented how great it is. We wouldn't have been able to afford it without the hosting income. 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa1831 

For me personally I have to take it really seriously! I work full-time as a professional co-host, so my own listing has to be 5* all the time as it's my "shop front" and I have to manage the other listings I look after in the same way to make sure I have happy guests and therefore happy clients 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

For us, it certainly isn't a hobby, although I seem to be the one who's more of the host than Jorge. While it is a supplement to our (full-time career) salaries, we try to put it to good use and not just for holidays. It's a great buffer too and helps when those 'busted washing machine' moments arrive.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What is it for you @Lisa1831  and what made you ask the question?

@Helen3 @Qier-and-Philippe0 

For me it is a way to travel and see the country and eventually the world.

I am a guest and I offer some of the host I have stayed with consultation on ways to increase there Airbnb income.  One will double income shortly and it is great to see all the changes at that home.

@Lisa1831 

So you're a guest with only 3 reviews on Airbnb - which would indicate rather limited experience of the service - yet you offer your hosts "consultations" on how they can increase their Airbnb income?? May I ask what qualifies you for such an insightful position as to how hosts should best operate their own listings? 

@Susan17  maybe she is a fast learner 😄 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Must be! All three reviews are from this month only. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Susan17 

Yes, I do learn quickly. Thanks for noticing.  😄

@Lisa1831 

Cool. That's awesome. A lot of us have been dealing with Airbnb day in, day out for years, and we still haven't managed to figure it out yet! 

Perhaps you could share a few nuggets of wisdom that you've picked up in your three stints as an Airbnb guest with us all then, rather than just save them for your consultations with your hosts? Put us on the right track... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What sort of 'consultation' are you offering hosts to increase their income @Lisa1831 

What changes did you suggest that enabled the host to double their income?

@Lisa1831 

Perhaps you could tell hosts what credentials you have other than three stays in the last month? Also, did those hosts offer you a free stay in exchange for your "service"?

Pardon me for being suspicious, but even their reviews of you seem like a marketing ploy.

Two of your stays were in Ohio. The third, your most recent, the host doesn't even have a listing linked anymore.

Us hosts use this forum to help each other out, but something is "off" here.

While a fresh perspective is always welcome, there are some very successful, very talented hosts in this forum who have years of experience as both guests and hosts and perhaps could offer YOU some insights.

@Helen3 @Susan17 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Couldn't agree @Suzanne302  - hence my asking my questions above yours 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry should read 'couldn't agree more'....oops