Airbnb has sent me someone else's money!

Shira4
Level 1
New York, NY

Airbnb has sent me someone else's money!

Dear Airbnb Accounting,

I can't find any way to contact you directly so I'm writing to you here.

I recieved a payout, it's not mine.

Does anyone know how do I contact the accounting department to resolve this?

Thank you,

Shira 

13 Replies 13
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Shira4  Go the Community Guide section of the CC and you will find a contact guide.  I like to use the Air BNB Twitter.

Thanks Linda,

I am looking at the Community Home page, but not seeing a Guide anywhere. Can you be more specific about where its found?

Appreicate it,

Shira

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Shira4 - what a strange one 

go to the search function search 'contact BNB' or similar. The question around contacting BNB has been asked and answered hundreds of times on here - both because they make it so difficult to find info on their website and because hosts don't bother to use the search function before asking questions on these forums.

I would give the US customer contact centre a call and ask if they can help.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Shira4

Thanks for letting us know about this issue, this is something you will need to speak to the Support team about. As @Linda108 and @Helen3 have said, it is possible to find a guide and lots of discussion about how to contact airbnb support team in the community centre. I have attached the link here to the Community help guide which explains the best ways to contact them in case you are unable to find it.

I hope to see you in the Community Centre again soon!

Kirstie

Thank you for the link and thank you everyone for your quick and helpful answers!

Cedar0
Level 2
Livermore, CA

Get this:  Airbnb sent MY co-host payments to someone else I don't even know!  $1500 of my payments have gone to someone else - another host.  This started in early June and remains unsolved.  I've spent countless hours on this with emails and phone calls - over 30 hours on the phone, talking with countless support techs who weren't able to do anything for me.  Finally, I found a tech support who identified Air's error, contacted the person who received my money, and now I'm still waiting to be paid because guess what?  That person who kept receiving my payments has SPENT my money!!!  THIS HAS BEEN AND REMAINS A NIGHTMARE.  Because Air made the error, I believe they should pay me directly the entire amount and somehow get the money back from the wrong person.  But alas... they are not helping me even though it was their mistake.  Any suggestions anyone?

Wow, @Cedar0, I am very sorry this happened to you.  It must be rare or we would have seen this issue posted a lot more.  Would you be willing to get back to the forum if you ever get an explanation about how this happened?

How this happened has to be answered by AirBnB as it was their error.  Part of all my attempts at rectifying this error was asking tech support to locate the source of this error.  You can't imagine how many HOURS have been spent, attempting to solve this issue.  Alas, now that Air identified its error, they still have done nothing to get my money back to me.  I think they should pay me the total amount and get the money back from the wrong host themselves.  It shouldn't have to be my place to get my money back when it was their error to begin with. 

I think you should get your money now and Air BNB should work out how to be reimbursed, @Cedar0.  While I am fairly easy about Air BNB's processes, this is not okay.  You count on Air BNB to correctly collect and distribute fees. That is the core of the Terms.  Errors happen, but Air BNB needs to minimize the impact on the host or in your case the co-host.

Linda, I appreciate your enthusiasm toward my sad situation with AirBnb sending someone else my money.  I'm at a loss on getting help with this from Air, as they have ignored me since June and have washed their hands of this problem.  I don't know what to do, and hiring a lawyer would take more than the money I'm owed.  It's so wrong!  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Put lots of posts about it on air's facebook page, embarrass the hell out of them.

@Cedar0open a Twitter account and/or a Facebook account and post your concern publically.  This should bring about rapid resolution of your problem.  Once the problem is solved be sure to go back and delete your Tweet or Facebook post or update it with PROBLEM SOLVED BY AIRBNB!  so that you are no longer publically chastising them.  You are correct, if they paid out to the wrong person they should compensate you right away and pursue that other person themselves, unless you made the mistake of entering incorrect payout information in the first place.

I did not make this mistake, and Air has admitted to having made the error, yet they won't do anything to help me get it returned.  And guess what?  The person they incorrectly sent my money to has SPENT IT and won't pay me!!!!   Can it get any worse?