An interesting Netflix Recommendation for the Weekend

An interesting Netflix Recommendation for the Weekend

Hello Fellow Hosts,

Here’s a Netflix recommendation for the weekend: https://www.netflix.com/in/title/81023011

5 hosts stay at each other’s Airbnbs and rate their stay to decide the winner.

Learnt a couple of things from the show:
1. Always use plain white or light plain pastel colours for the sheets.
2. Adding small personal touches to the interiors or sharing small list of local activities will make the guests happier.

Let me know what your learnings are if you watch the show 😊

Have a lovely weekend!

https://www.netflix.com/in/title/81023011

12 Replies 12
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Thanks, @Jeet0

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Will start watching tonight

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeet0   "1. Always use plain white or light plain pastel colours for the sheets."

Why?   That's just someone's opinion. I use colorful bedding in all kinds of colors. My guests comment on how much they like it. I have no desire to conform to some "must have" scenario.

The logic behind white is that you can tell if they’re clean. Hotels use white to create a sense of luxury (even not so luxurious hotels.) Colored sheets can hide stains so hard to get a sense of if they are really clean.

@Emilia42 Yes, I realize that's the logic, I just don't agree with it. Some tiny stain that may be hidden by a colrful or patterned sheet has nothing to do with its cleanliness. And larger stains show easily on any color. I'm not interested in having the type of guests who would think that some pencil eraser stain on something they'd have to pore over with a magnifying glass to find would mean it wasn't clean. (By the way, none of my sheets or towels have any stains, I'd retire them if they did)

Those kind of guests can go stay in a hotel, where, from my reading, bedspreads get washed twice a year.

@Sarah977, the Instant Hotels featured in the show were fairly costly, except for one. After the hosts had reviewed, a professional hotel designer gave her comments and rating. She was the one who said white sheets, and this was in response to a place in the northern territory in Australia (extremely hot and humid) which had BLACK linen. She said white would have felt fresher, cleaner. And she is right, black in the tropics is not the best feel. They didn't all have white, but that was the only one she commented on re linen colour.

@Sandra126 Thanks for clarifying. Jeet made it sound like it was a comment that all hosts should use white or pastels (how boring). 

Wish I could watch Netflix- but it would burn through my internet plan (cell based) in no time.

Black sheets- I suppose some people might think that's classy. I know some hosts have said they provide black washcloths for make-up removal, but I don't tend to get the type of women who wear makeup, so I've never had the stained towels issue.

I do have quite a few black clothes, but I'd never use black for towels, or furnishings- black shows dirt as much as white does- it shows up as white or grey.

Sorry you can't watch it, @Sarah977, it was good for entertainment but no huge loss if you miss it. As I am unlikely to stay in that kind of place, it is good to see how others do it. Considering it professional deveopment, and vowing never to let them near my place. https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/17096292?location=Humpty%20Doo%2C%20Australia&adults=1&guests=1&s=FA... is the one with black linen, looked at the pics and it is now white all the way!

Hey @Sarah977, true, White and Pastel in my Airbnb would feel too simple and maybe dull. I have simple floral and geometric prints right now. But as Sandra clarified, the show highlighted how white sheets would help assure cleanliness and can also add freshness, more light and space to the room, hence called it out 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I binge  watched last night, very late... Was interesting! Takeaways: Name your location accurately (Byron North? Nope). Privacy beats almost everything, for bathrooms and bedrooms. Be nice. But if you can't, winning is still possible.  Determine your target audience (child swing set, is that right for a luxury audience? etc). Go easy on the rules. For 1500 a night, how much cleaning do you really expect? 9am checkout is too early, especially given the price. Really too early. Disclose if host will  still be on the property. NOT private, which is really the biggest deal there is. If you are going for luxury, make sure it is not just the building and location but also every detail, every opportunity for quality should be taken.

Ensure insects are kept out, and maybe inform guests about how to manage re doors and lights. Because some people just don't know.

Now I want to see the same series done for a middle market, and a basic one... Was highly entertaining! Thanks @Jeet0.

So true! They are coming up with season 2, I hope it's not just the high end homes this time. Loved all the drama 😄

Which Instant Home was your favorite? I loved the Shed with Coka Cola and Vintage theme, super unique, could feel the heart (and money) that was put into it, plus, it was also close to so many wineries 😄