Another Good Guest Story

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Another Good Guest Story

I hosted a very, very young couple for three nights. He had just moved to a base about 2 hours from me but didn't have a car and she flew in from out of state to visit him. My location (and city for that matter) makes it hard to get around without a car so they had to Uber everywhere and even ordered Uber eats for food a couple times.

I've NEVER done this for a guest before, but they were so sweet and Ubers can add up so I offered to drop them off anyplace they wanted to go within a reasonable distance if I was available at the time as I didn't have much to do this weekend anyway.

I ended up dropping them off about 15 minutes away one day, and same thing the next day. Another thing I've NEVER done is offer cooked breakfast, but, I was cooking Sunday morning anyway, so I invited them to eat with me, which they eagerly accepted as an alternative to taking an Uber to Cracker Barrel!

I went to clean the room today and they left me $30 in cash along with a very sweet note in my guest book. I thought it was incredibly sweet because I was trying to save them money, yet they still felt compelled to leave me something extra. These guests and this experience is what makes me happy to be a host. (not the extra $$ they left, but the human connection)

Just wanted to put another "good" story out there as we see enough of the bad guests!

11 Replies 11
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Suzanne302  Great to read positive stories, which are the main stream of Airbnb guests. Thank for sharing! 

I had a guest who was a returning guest. He booked for one guest. But his cousin came to visit him. I did not know his cousin stayed overnight. But he left $40 when he checked out. He is an honest guest.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne302  How nice. These are the kind of guests I'm talking about when I advise other hosts not to bend over backwards trying to please the demanding, entitled guests, but to save their extra special assistance for the nice guests who actually appreciate it. Responding to a demand or expectation that you don't normally provide is a far cry from offering to help out when it's not asked of you.

Now just make sure they know not to mention it in the review, so future guests don't "expect" the same level of helpfulness 🙂

I once drove  a guest to the main bus station in the city, an hour's drive from my place, as I had to go to the city myself that day anyway. Taking her to the bus station meant I had to go about 15 minutes out of my way, but I was happy to do it and she was was most appreciative and insisted on chipping in for gas.

@Sarah977 "These are the kind of guests I'm talking about when I advise other hosts not to bend over backwards trying to please the demanding, entitled guests, but to save their extra special assistance for the nice guests who actually appreciate it."

Exactly! Attitude is everything and once I smell entitlement, I will do as little as possible. Haha!

These guests were truly grateful for the extra lengths I went for them and I was happy to help them.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Love this story, @Suzanne302 - thanks for posting!

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Suzanne302  Thanks for sharing, we need more sweet, encouraging guests stories like yours here on CC.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

As an update, in my private feedback from the guest (first time Airbnb user), she wrote that at first they were really skeptical about staying in someone's home, but their stay was wonderful.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Thanks @Suzanne302 for sharing this lovely story.  Kudos to you for being a host that goes the extra mile for her guests. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Suzanne302 I do so wish that rather than trying to turn us all into hotels, ABB would recognize the benefit of staying with an actual caring owner.

Frankly, most of my guests have no idea what they're missing out on with their indifference and treating us like the staff. When guests act like friends good things can happen.

Good for you and them that it was a good experience!

@Kelly149I agree 100%! The way Airbnb is going it's no different from any other booking site and I hate to see all the "corporate" properties and hosts with dozens of different properties. The human element is getting lost...

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Suzanne302  This post might just be titled incorrectly. It would work equally well with "Another Good Host Story."

Isn't it wonderful when you have a group that just seem to sync with the host and home? 

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

@Suzanne302  I had some guests from China stay this summer, they were really happy with the place, an even happier that I have a Pack- n - Play for the little ones.  The husband said he was expecting to sleep on the floor with the baby.  They left a really nice message in my guest book, and a note on the kitchen corner...To Wende, Thank you so very much.!, with $1.11, I didn't think anything of the money, an was so Pleased they wanted to leave me a separate note.  Maybe 111 is good luck in China.?