Another host stole my listing wording

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Another host stole my listing wording

So I've been working very hard as a host, and I achieved Superhost this January. I have two properties: an aparment that's located in our primary residence, and our holiday home. 

Our holiday home is located in a gated resort community, and as a result there are a lot of similar homes. I was browsing other people's listings doing my usual market research, and I found that another host has stolen the wording of my listing pretty much word for word. I am pretty angry about this, because I spend a lot of time making sure my listings are good. What would you do in this situation? Nastygram? Encourage a skunk to take up residence under their cottage? Be a grownup and ignore it?

I'm just really annoyed.

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Alexandra316 ,

Maybe put the copyright symbol © on your listing ;>)

So i was curious to read the text, but noticed no active listing on your profile:

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/6969368

?????

But they are on your homepage ! :

https://www.airbnb.com/users/6969368/listings

Best regards, Emiel

@Emiel1 I don't know what to tell you; when I click that link I see both my listings, and I have bookings for both properties. We have people staying now in fact. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alexandra316 My first thought was you deactivated the listings to prevent more copying of your text ;>) But seriously: the profile shows me the profile information, the reviews, the wishlists but not the 2 listings. Browser: Google Chrome

So i tried another browser (Firefox) and now it shows also the two listings. 

But anyway: nice text, i would also be annoyed if somebody grabbed it for own purpose.

Best regards, Emiel

Added: read @Robin4 's comment, was indeed not logged in in Chrome and then no display of the listings on the profile page. Problem solved !

@Emiel1 definitely not irritating enough to turn off my listings.

Glad it's just a browser issue.... Thank @Robin4 for helping with that. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alexandra316    Oh Alexandra, I am so sorry for you....and how often in life does this happen? You put a lot of hard work into something to have an interloper come in and rob you of your rewards!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as 'interlectual property' when it comes to listing descriptions! I know it's no consolation to you but this does happen a lot in closed communities Alexandra. We even see them pilfering the same listing photos! If someone goes to the trouble of securing that beautiful lead photo of a view across the harbour at sunset, or the eighteen fairway of the community golf course, that same shot may be seen three times or more in different listings.

It's not 'robbery' as such.....it's opportunism, and if you feel suitably aggrieved by this and there are enough concrete similarities you can report this listing to Airbnb by going to the other listings profile and under the pricing/booking information click the small flag which will be accompanied by a blue field which will say 'Report this Listing' 

This will bring the listing to the attention of Airbnb, you will be asked for a reason you have reported this user and you can give your reasons and the team will compare both listings and adjudicate a decision.

Here is the link to what the Tust and Safety team offer in the way of protection....

https://www.airbnb.com/standards

Good luck with this Alexandra....and good luck with your hosting.

PS: As a footnote I see both your listings when I bring up your profile, they are both defintely visible, it may be that @Emiel1  was not logged on while viewing your profile!

And hey congratulations on that Superhost status, you are obviously a great hosting couple...good on you!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 I probably won't report; still mulling over the skunk idea :-).

Thanks, it really is annoying! 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alexandra316 When you are at the top of the food chain, all the little crumb snatchers want to be you.

You continue setting the mark and watching everyone catch up Girl! 

Haters hate, winners elevate, get into that mind set!

We can sit and mull or we can take that ball and shove right down their throats like “Baby Jesus” Little brother Tom Brady does! 

That’s last years description.

We don’t look back.

If they want to wear my old shoes or buy my used bathing suits, you can have it! 

We don’t spend time wondering what other Host are doing, WE are the trend setters.

They want to be on your level and every time they see your listing, it makes them sick. 

We are moving on from last year and we will continue to crush you, just like we did last year.

Don’t waste time on haters. Figure out how we are getting to the next level of awesome. 

I actually feel sorry for my haters, I know it’s a disease and there is no cure for it. Sometimes I do things just to feed my haters something to hate on, cuz I care. 

“Brush your shoulders off”. 

Thanks @Rene-and-Zac0  Rene, I like your idea to take this as an opportunity to update the listing. 

As far as their home is concerned, it's not nearly as nice as ours, so I'm not worried about them stealing our business, that's for sure. We already have lots of bookings for the summer, while their calendar is empty. If people want a premium experience, they'll rent from us.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Alexandra316, your post reminded me of one by @Alice & Jeff. Here it is: The gall of this new host

You will be especially interested in the update where what was directly copied was removed by Airbnb. Will you let us know what you end up doing?

@Lawrene0Thanks for that! Very useful link. Glad to hear that someone else was successful in getting it taken care of. 

I need to cool down a bit before I make a decision on what to do, I think. 

@Lawrene0And thanks for linking me to Alice & Jeff (can't link to them for some reason). What a gorgeous place they have!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alexandra316.... just a little tip....... the only profiles that will appear when you hit the @ key are those that are active on that particular thread. You can of course go to one of the admin posts where you will (on some articles) find all the active links to regular contributors and you can copy and paste a link from there. But there are a number of regular contributors you don't particulary like being drawn into a thread they are not active in.

This is why you did not see Alice's link as an option.

Cheers......Rob