Approve or Decline? That is the question!

Approve or Decline? That is the question!

Hello,

We just got an inquiry for 4 nighs in January asking if we have an air mattress to provide since the two friends do not want to share a bed.  I responded saying that we do have an air mattress but wanted to make sure they were aware of two things: 

1) The air mattress we have is for maybe 1-2 nights to sleep on but not sure how comfortable it is for 4 nights

2) Just wanted to remind them that our place is a studio condo.  Although a single air mattress can fit, it might be a cramped space.  Want to make sure our guests are comfortable and happy!

Although it would be nice to have a booking for 4 nights the first week in January, my gut tells me something is up...maybe they have 3 people vs 2 (just based on some of the posts in the community that I've read or just me being paranoid.  LOL).  We've listed our place to accomodate for 2 people max. 

Anyone have had this request before?  It is Arbnb and guess that's how the platform got started. How did it turned out?  We're okay with it but think we're hesitant because they may come back afterwards complaining and we end up getting a bad review.

We have not "decline" anyone yet when they've inquired but think this might be our first one (we are new hosts just a little over a month though).  Based on what I'm seeing on posts, sounds like declining a request might ding us on listing placements?  What happens if we neither pre-approve or decline?  Will this have a negative effect as well.  Again, we've already responded to the inquiry just haven't approve or decline the request just yet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/feedback!

6 Replies 6
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Declining once is not an issue, but repeated declining certainly is. I frequently have two guests who prefer separate sleeping arrangements, ie two relatives, friends, snorers etc. Whatever reason. As long as it is ok with you and you charge an added cost for linen, I think you will be ok. Yes, they might use it to get another person in but if you charge extra for the air mattress, it is not a disaster if they do?

Thank you @Sandra126!   Completely understand that some may not want to sleep on same bed (reasons you've mentioned).  That's not the problem.  It's more about space with the air mattress.  Guess this is where communication comes in to make sure they understand and expectations are set.  Good point about charging for the extra linen.  I wouldn't even begin to know what to charge for that.  Thoughts?

I charge AUD 30 for extra linen fee. On the odd occasion I have offered them to bring their own, I am happy either way as it saves me all that laundry (I am one of those hosts who iron sheets).

Usually guests prefer to arrive to bed made and pay the 30, rather than the hassle of bringing their own. As long as you express that you are afraid they will not be happy due to space restrictions it will be clear enough. They could always lift the airmattress onto the other one during daytime.

Carolyn31
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

@Sandra126,

Why is declining many inquiries a problem? I have instant booking turned on. That means most of the people who are ready to commit will just click on "book instantly," leaving the "contact host" option for those who have a question but are not even close to ready to commit. 

For instance, today someone sent me an inquiry which was immediately followed by another message saying they could not make a reservation, after all. There is no option in the dropdown menu for declining someone because it wasn't really a reservation request and yet, that is the case with my inquires more often than not!

Carolyn

@Carolyn31, if you frequently decline, your ranking will plummet. I find that the ranking is hurt by even a single decline. On one of my listings where I have declined quite a few times I have to fill in a form of several pages to explain why I declined. Basically, Air doesn't want to have guests declined as it shows you are not guest ready.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

To clarify the number of people who are coming, start by asking.  Of course they may lie, but sometimes it is harder for people to flat out lie, than to omit telling the truth.  

If three arrive, you can contact Airbnb to cancel, as this is against your house rules.

To your original question, if you are uncomfortable, just decline.