Are guests changing mentality?

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

Are guests changing mentality?

This is my fourth summer doing airBnb and I feel I don't enjoy it anymore. Am I the only one feeling guests have changed? They seem to expect hotel prestations and do not respect my privacy, spend hours in the kitchen and go to the outdoor space which is off limit. I offer 40 sq m (room, tv room, own shower, working space) but still spend time in my kitchen... 

44 Replies 44

This is Airbnb. Do not expect anything from them.

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

These guests had only 1 (good) review for 1 recent night. So as I suspected, they have very little AirBnb experience. 

Hi @Olivia363 

Just take a deep breath and hang in there...

If anything, DO NOT CANCEL this reservation yourself, message the ignorant french couple  via the Aribnb channel that they need to cancel there current and their upcoming reservation themselves and that your cancellation policy will kick in to give them any money back that they are entitled to.

All the best!

Thanks. Yes of course, I am not cancelling myself, I told I am waiting for AirBnb's mediation, but they keep harrassing as they of course want to put the blame on me and not be charged for late cancellation. I am actually ready to resolve this in the best way i.e. that they do not get charged - the most important thing for me now is that they leave my place and stop the harassment. For some reason, the CS is not picking up my messages at all... hopefully when I come back from work they will be gone... oh yes and one of the message told: we want you to come home so we can discuss - as if I did not have any work to go to and as if I could be 24/7 at my guests disposal... 

Hello,

I have talked to AirBnb CS now, no good news unfortunately. I was ready to accept a deal such as: I accept cancellations without charging in exchange of no reviews from the guests nor myself. They told it is not possible to stop the review process. Then what would be my interest in cancelling myself? I am so super nervous to get home tonight, really hope they are gone. AirBnb CS would try to contact them but they don't speak any English, so the customer support will try to send a translated message first... Next time also: do not accept no-English guests (as it is a sign of lacking travel culture and a red flag).

Mg5
Level 4
Australia

Yes. 

Thanks a lot. This is sad, the whole concept was a good one and the good old days are gone. Indeed, even when guests are problem free (i.e. respecting rules and giving justified reviews), there is no exchange anyway, as there used to be. I really wish AirBnb read this thread and reflect over it. I also feel the offer has been professionalised now with the real estate agents taking care of the listing. And as I am not running a professional hotel or hostel, I cannot compete with the higher stanrdards (possibly). At the end of the day, this makes both hosts and guests be frustrated, then it is better to withdraw entirely.

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

Well, I think we as hosts have get a bit more hard nosed.  AirBnB is now simply mainstream. Thus attention to detail starts failing. Profit pressure sets in. 

Thus we as hosts have to adjust to that. But as well, the guest profile is changing, simply due to the catchment enlargement of airBnB.  Now checking profiles and rereading the messages is more important than ever. They are not the only portal and I have started treating them as just another portal.

I'm not interested in "super host" as it would tie me in too much. House rules are important and one should not be shy to reiterate them - To make sure we meet your expectation please read the house rules - 

- Please provide an ETA and call me when you are 15 minutes out so I can meet you personally -. etc etc

How I see it: My places are unique / your place(s) are unique - Mine are licensed but privately owned places and I don't have to host anyone. Thus from my point of view, the honus is on the guests - If they present themselves well I will host them - If not I will decline.

Unfortunately, the "easy" times have gone @ AirBnB.

M

Thanks Martin. Yes this is the right conclusion and indeed since I am not intending to start running a hosting business (not interested in super host either) I will simply withdraw. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Olivia363 Why not write a paragraph at the top of your listing about the spirit of Airbnb in the early days, & what sort of  guest fits into this ethos? SAY you only want bookings from the old school type guests. And explain you're not a serviced hotel, you don't do breakfast, & check in MUST be well co-ordinated cos you have a JOB outside of Airbnb! (I've even read listings where people say they don't want "entitled" guests!)

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Olivia363  Yeah been there

Guest stays 1 night and loads washing machine at 01.00. 

I woke up and asked politely to wash her clothes tomorrow morning before checkout (I do not have a dryer).

Now I do charge when they want to use the washing machine if they stay less than 4 nights. 

Aaaaaaaw it's amazing! No more noise at night😀

Kira♡

You are right. Same when kitchen  is used. 

EMarie0
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

Indeed I believe there is a change in the guests entering this market. I had a request last weekend where I asked about the# of persons in the group specifically. I was told 4 adults 3 children. And 3 more adults "may" come on the weekend. The reservation, however, only indicated 1 guest.  I told the guest you must enter at minimum 5 (for the adults).   This guest contacted Airbnb and advised that I was attempting to charge more  than listed because my listing states $200/night and $100 for each addl guest. Firstly this guest reached airbnb far quicker than I've ever been able to...nevertheless after 3-4 telephone calls from airbnb, I was so frustrated that I no longer felt comfortable with this guest coming into my home that I canceled them.   Never had this happen before. I usually just let the system perform any necessary price adjustments and not worry about it.  I knew in this case there should have been 3 -5 listed as guests....it felt as if the guest was attempting to force me to give then the price they wanted.   I think i may rent less in the future. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Guests are defnitely changing and wanting more for less.

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will take a deep breath before I list my place again. Too much hassle, not worth the money. I have 2 more guests and then my season is off.