BREAKDOWN FOR GUEST STAR RATINGS Is Airbnb taking away an IMPORTANT tool from hosts???

BREAKDOWN FOR GUEST STAR RATINGS Is Airbnb taking away an IMPORTANT tool from hosts???

Huge change (in my account) since today:

- NO visible "guest star" breakdown anymore???

- WE CAN'T SEE recommendations (given by hosts to guests/thumbs UP/DOWN) anymore???

@Lizzie

@Quincy

@Stephanie.

Brooke (1).png

8 Replies 8
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Giedre-and-Andre0  I'm sorry to report that this is how it has always been for me.

I have been hosting since January and I have never been able to see a breakdown of guest star ratings.  I have also never been able to see the "recommended by x hosts" message either.  We did a little experiment a while back, in another thread, to prove this.  Another host who could see the 'thumbs up' ratings posted a picture of a guest profile... I posted a picture of the same profile... low and behold, mine was different. Since then I have noticed that the New Zealand version of the platform also gets updates ahead of other regions.  So it's possible that the absence of these things was always the intention, but I saw them earlier than you did... ?

I have also used Instant Book the entire time I have hosted, which doesn't seem to make a difference whatsoever.  The information is just not there.

I can't comment on the usefulness of information that I have never had, so  I'm interested in what other hosts say to this.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

I don’t have Instant Book on so I’ve never been able to see any of that peripheral information. All I can see is their reviews and their first name.  Personally I don’t think it should be a requirement to have Instant Book to see all of the information written down. Access to guest information about the gift should be equal among all hosts. They take the same percentages whether we have Instant Book on or not. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Giedre-and-Andre0  I don't use IB either, so have never been able to see the star ratings. But it did used to say "This guest is recommended by xx# of hosts". When they changed our guest review page, it then said "Would you host xx again?" and we lost the thumbs up or down.  And it also says "This information won't be visible anywhere....." (can't remember the exact wording). I posted at the time that this made me think we were no longer going to see recommendations, and indeed that is what has happened.

No profile photo, no recommendations, except by reading the reviews, no visible star ratings. It's becoming more outrageous every day. They want us to accept everyone and anyone. The disrespect for hosts is astounding.

@Sarah977 @Ava30 @Ben551 This was my situation since yesterday:

If I would click (PC ONLY) on "overall rating" the window with breakdown would popup...

It makes a huge difference to know, if a guest has a 4***** average because he is a "bad communicator"

or a "dirty pick" who can't follow house rules 😉

But I guess this is exactly what's going on... probably to many slobs got rejected and this is exactly the outcome Airbnb wants to achieve... Hosts just accept blindfolded any guest possible to generate revenue... 

BTW: I am/was one of the very few who kind of understood (no complains on my end) the

"NO GUEST PICTURE POLICY" before booking... I can understand Airbnb as a global

company to avoid any discussion about discrimination by vetting a picture...

BUT the "star breakdown" is totally different:

This is caused by guest behaviour, we as hosts also need to drop our pants on 5 different categories

and another 7 categories known as "compliments" + the "better than expected" rating...

Guests have a choice to book the best possible accommodation they can find, BY SEEING ALL STAR RATING DETAILS.

Me as a host want to be treated same way and get the best possible guest into my house...

NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK???!!!

One more Info:

I just ended a short trip to Chicago and we stayed first time as guests in an Airbnb...

GUESTS ARE NOT ABLE TO SEE STAR RATINGS GIVEN BY HOSTS. ONLY THE WRITTEN REVIEW IS VISIBLE TO GUESTS. This is probably to sugarcoat guests by avoiding possible amberrising ratings and they would not book again..?

Knowing from this forum that a huge percentage of hosts are very soft on bad guests with written reviews,  bad behaviour has no real impact on guests...

Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

Andre

Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 6.29.43 PM (1).png

@Giedre-and-Andre0Where did you get to see the pop up? I have not been able to see anything like that. I remembered that I used to see at least the overall star rating of a guest. But now, I see nothing even though I have an instant booking on. Below is all I can see. No stars rating. And you only can read the reviews. If Airbnb collects guests stars and stars in each categories, why don't they let hosts to see.

I totally agree with your assumption. Airbnb just wants hosts to blindly accept any guests bookings. The photo thing is just an excuse for them to avoid hosts from accepting booking requests. If photo has any indication of identifying ethic groups, why Airbnb does not provide a full name and city where the guest lives when a booking request is sent.

ReviewPage.png

Gianni13
Level 3
Lima, Peru

I just noticed this myself with a guest who just checked in today and I could no longer see the breakdown of his stars to understand if he was a bad communicator or a dirty person...WHY WOULD AIRBNB TAKE THIS AWAY??? How exactly this feature being taken away helps us hosts? I would love if someone could explain. 

I assume people working for Airbnb have ten million things to do...so if something is already up there, someone would have had to budget time to take this feature down based on some sort of analysis that somehow led them to the conclusion that it was "better" to invest time and do so. Again, really, WHY???

Moreover, it is really tiring/concerning/confusing/disappointing/frustrating to keep finding out about everything that Airbnb decides to change just by stumbling upon such things. No one ever communicates to the community of hosts about any of these changes. For being such a large company making so much money, I cannot explain such an unprofessional behavior. 

@Gianni13We should all send feedback to Airbnb feedback page to protest this along with the issue of providing only a first name and nothing else about the guest when a booking request is sent.

I have instant booking option on. When a request is sent from a new guest to Airbnb with no reviews, only a first name is provided. That is insane. All risks are on hosts.

Feedback can be provide at

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I didn't like the "recommended by X hosts" because it was imperfect, @Giedre-and-Andre0.

My husband has 3 reviews and 1 recommendation. Is he a horrible slob? A partier?

No. He's a great guest. It's just that he was the booking guest only once. The other times he was the second guest, added to the reservation by me when we travelled together.

If a host did not know to look at the reviews for the small print "this review is for a trip booked by Lawrene", they wouldn't have accepted his request. 

Many thanks for the screenshot pointing out that the five stars belong to the host and not the guest! I fell for that one last week. Wondered how a brand-new non-reviewed guest had five stars. Ha! They had mine!

🙂