Being Held to Ransom over Guest Feedback

Sarah-And-Tom0
Level 5
New South Wales, Australia

Being Held to Ransom over Guest Feedback

I thought it was worthwhile sharing a horror guest story with the Airbnb community.  Having read many similar stories on community I know this sort of thing thing happens alot, but my concern is that the Airbnb feedback system actually leads to hosts not appropriately "outing" poorly behaved guests for fear of retibution feedback, which is the exact opposite of the stated intentions of the feedback system. Grab yourself a coffee and have a read!

We have a lovely little cottage in the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia.  It is in Blackheath, the highest suburb in the mountains at about 1050m above sea level and experiences a very cool climate, similar to mid the northern UK.  Winters are cold, and the absolute worst it gets in mid summer is about 30 deg c.  Thus houses are designed and built for the cold weather, similar to the UK, with very few (if any) with air conditioning for cooling or fans (ours doesn't - or didn't!).

In January we had a guest stay for 3 nights who on the surface looked like a model guest - 6 references, no problems.  We've since leant that because she had 7 reviews one host had previously given her a thumbs down (you live and learn!), with no comments written.

At the time she stayed nearly all of Australia experinced record heatwave conditions.  It was 46 plus in Adelaide  (highest temperature ever recorded) and 40 plus in nearly all capital cities.  The heatwave made worldwide news - my parents in the UK got wall to wall coverage of it for a few days. The moutains in NSW only got to about 31-32.

On the day this guest was to arrive my co-host and I had a discussion, and we agreed it would be good customer relations to go out and buy a fan for the living area of our cottage (addmittedly in the long term it would get very liuttle use).  Nights would be fine as it ALWAYS cools in the evenings in the Blue Mountains.  She rushed out got the fan, got it back and set it up in time for the early check-in we had granted the guest of 1PM (check-in at our Coittage is normally 3PM) .  We all felt good that we had done a nice gesture for what was an extrordinary situation that clearly was not our doing.  It sent the guest a note telling her what we had done......no reply, that's strange.

The guest checked in at 1PM as we had allowed and all seemed fine, until at 6PM (yes 5 hours later), our co-host received a phone call from the guest.  Instead of thanking us for buying a fan just for her 3 day stay, she unleashed a vitriolic tirade saying this was not good enough and demanding that we IMMEDIATELY purchased more 2 more fans for the house.  The temperature at that time was just under 30 deg c. Her tirade of demands and abuse was so damaging it almost reduced our co-host to tears (she was really shaky when I spoke to her on the phone), and was left thinking that if we didnt meet her demands we would receive very nasty vitriolic feedback (our cottage has 96% 5 star rating).  We were lucky she didnt resign on the spot. NOTE THERE IS NO MENTION OF FANS BEING PROVIDED ON OUR LISTING, AS THEY ARE NOT GENERALLY NEEDED, AND LONG TERM SIMPLY CLUTTER THE HOUSE. Our co-host rang us and we immediately called Airbnb for advice (bad move).  They couldnt care less and when we discussed the feedback issue with them they were clear that adverse feedback for this would not be removed from our listing.  It didnt seem to matter at all that our listing was correct, that she clearly hadnt read it, and the demand was somewhat unreasonable. So we were copping abuse and being held to ransom because of an unprecdidented record breaking weather event that was making worldwide news! The nice gesture of that morning (without being asked) had reverted to ancient history at this point.

So I called the guest and copped the same tirade that our co-host had suffered.  Never once was there a thanks that we had purcahse and installed one fan that morning - it simply was not good enough and more had to be purchased immediately.  I explained to the guest that the department stores where we would purchase the fan had closed for the night (remember she took 5 hours to call us) and that we would go our first thing the next day and purchase two more fans.  I was left in no doubt that if I didn't we would be getting really bad feedback, and that even if I did purchase them we still may get bad feedback.  So much for our dream of helping in a small way to showcase Australia's Blue Mountains to Aussiies and the rest of the world - that dream, after 12 months of dealing with Airbnb is a bit of a nightmare.  We struck an agreement with her that we would purchase them and bring them over first thing in the morning, and explained that the mountains would cool to under 20 overnight, and explained that all doors and windows have screens and a lovely breeze comes through the house when they are opened (that is the design for cooling the house and in 15 years of ownership we have never had a problem previously). All seemed OK at the end of the call.

About 2 hours later we received another call from her husband (presumably because they had realised she was incapable of talking to people in a civil and courtesour manner).  He announced that they had broken our previous agreement and gone to a supermarket and bought the first cheap, crappy fans they could find. Certainly not what we would have purchased.  He was seeking agreement for compentation.  We had been stood over and knew we had to agree to this.  We asked could they provide us with the reciepts and we would certainly compensate, to which he agreed.  We followed this with a text later wishing them a great trip and hoping they settled in OK, and with an email the next day which confirmed our agreement, and providing some tips for good things to see and do during thier stay.....no reply, and certainly no word of thank you.

Still no replies and certainly no receipts (they are required for tax purposes) three days after they have left, so we are now wondering what to do regarding the compensation.  We are now in a quandry, again they have not stuck to our agreement and we are wondering if we continue to wait for them to provide what was agreed (writing to them is no use as they have not replied to anything) we run the risk of them leaving bad feedback to the effect that they "had" to go out and buy fans and were not compensated (don't let the truth get in the way of a good story - and we know from lenghty discussions with Airbnb this feedback would not be removed). So again we call Airbnb (bad move).  Talk about a "maybe', "maybe not" attitude. Initially they said just wait, and when I put to them the theory about feedback, they then said just compensate them without the receipts. Which we did, based on a verbal cost we had been given on the night of purchase. Our conscience was clear. 

Now the mexican standoff over feedback begins.  We were itching to warn other hosts but we knew from the discussions that vitriolic feedback (which we would have bucklies of getting removed) was only a click away.  And as they days went on and no feedback was posted we knew they were keeping it up their sleeve in case we told the story via feedback (and they knew what their behaviour had been). No feedback, no emails nothing.  Throught the 14 day period we decided that it wasn't worth risking our good reputation, and knowing THAT AIRBNB DID NOT HAVE OUR BACKS we decided not to leave feedback, and simply prevent her from ever coming near us again. It pained us to do this because no other host should have to put up with this abhorent behaviour, but AIrbnb's feedback system and attitude omongst its staff simply encourages this. 

17 days after our evening discussion with her husband (yes just outside the 14 day review period) we "suddenly", out of the blue get a note from her saying sorry for the late reply and she would send through the receipt. So now we oficially know we are dealing with a "player" who was waiting for the period to end before she contacted us. We replied saying we didn't need it any longer, we'd worked around it, and then proceeded to block her, which was the only course of action left open to us to get her out of our lives.

And you know what, Airbnb's whole feedback system actually encourages and rewards this disgusting behaviour. The fact is that "players" like this know the system and its gross flaws, exploit them, and can ruin your business and you have absolutely no comeback - in fact the attitude from Airbnb consistently is "too bad, so sad". Having read many community threads I know this is happening worldwide - owners need to be telling their stories like this more and more to Airbnb. 

And until Airbnb start showing some respect and support to owners who have 100's of thousands of dollars at stake in this game, they are going to get people walking away and using their money for more productive, and less risky ventures (note the risk here is being amplified by Airbnb's policies and attitude).  I have not seen one ounce of care factor, support or undertanding for an owners plight in the 12 months I have been with Airbnb. In fact we have experienced in that 12 months 4 major software failings that have all cost us bookings (the latest is Airbnb have turned off our instant book) that have cost us significant income. Again "too bad, so sad" and if you get any meaningful action out of them inside 4 phone calls you deserve a medal! 

Hope you enjoyed your coffee!!

37 Replies 37
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Woah @Sarah-And-Tom0, what a story! I just don't understand people sometimes... how on earth can they behave like this? The most disappointing part of this story for me, however, was that you didn't leave them a review. Please, please, please, ALWAYS review bad guests - we hosts depend on it! (because, as you say, Airbnb does not have our backs). You could have waited until the last minute to review them to avoid the 'vitriolic feedback', but it wouldn't really have mattered even if they did leave feedback because it would have just shown up on their profile, not yours. If they'd left you a nasty review, you could have just left a short, professional response that shows prospective guests that you were in the right. I'm really sorry that this happened to you, but in future, please don't perpetuate behaviour like this by not leaving a review.

Sarah-And-Tom0
Level 5

Thanks for the support Kath, and it did pain us to not leave a review. We rely on the income and want to uphold our reputation that we have spent all year building.  The professional response angle was our back-up if needed. The vitriolic feedback could have been one star which would have been disasterous. And "players" like this know how to ensure it isnt removed.

At the end of the day it is the dumb Airbnb system that leads to all this. All they need to do it stay silent when feedback is left (ie not email me when the guest has left a review and not email the guest when we have left a review) and we'd have left a review for sure. And as long as Airbnb do not care about owners the system will stay the same, or heaven forebid, get worse. 

The whole incident was stressful enough for all of us without damaging the business as well. I hope you never have to go through anything like this.

Thanks again for your support.

Oh and Kath, we dont believe we have perpetuated this behaviour because we reported them to Airbnb with the detail regarding their behaviour.

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Sarah-And-Tom0Unbelievable!

What a story, so sorry you had to experience that.

Some people are not supposed to be on a home sharing platform like Airbnb.

I have been convinced after reading many great post, that leaving a review is always a good idea.

Because if the guest leaves a negative public review you can always reply on that one.

But if you don't review the guest you have lost that opportunity to give your side of the story.

I have come to the conclusion that enough is enough(I don't care anymore if I loose my superhost badge) and I have just recently added my listing to other home rental sites.

I'm not putting myself in a" review hostage" situation ever.

And I always try to reply on a guests public feedback sometime just to say thank you for being a great

guest.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Wow.... @Sarah-And-Tom0 that woman sounds toxic.  Sorry that you had to deal with this nightmare situation.  I think you've handled it with the best of what you know, which is all you can do sometimes.  Frankly, I feel sorry for her husband and... anyone else she calls a friend or relative. 

This is the kind of instance I enjoy having a teeny bit of computer savvy.  I would have written a short script well in advance containing a full review... programmed to send with 1 second remaining on that 14 day timer.  Upon posting, I would have taken great pleasure at shouting "hah!  Get to your keyboard faster than that, swamp creature!"  Of course, you could sit there and manually "click" it... but a bot is far faster and internet lag requires precision... and cunning 🙂

Sarah-And-Tom0
Level 5

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your support. It sounds like you are more than a 'teeny bit' computer savvy! We aren't sure how to find out exactly when the feedback window closes, especially with time differences etc. do you have any pointers?

Sarah

Hi @Sarah-And-Tom0  - it's funny you ask that, because I recently tracked it (via a server timer) for one guest who did not leave a review.  I've only tracked this once, so it remains to be proven a few times before I can be certain there is no variation. 

From that first test, I clocked the feedback window closing precisely 1209600 seconds after the start of the next check-in time for the guest following your guests check-out. That is the server second equivalent of 14 calendar days, after the check-in time of the next possible booking.

For example, if my guests checked out on 1 January 2019 and my usual check-in time for new guests is 13:00:00 (whether I have any or not) then the last possible second to post a review was 12:59:59 on 15 January 2019. 

@Ben551

I want to buy this useful code :))))

@Sarah-And-Tom0

I am always surprised with host's patience and I know it was a smart thing to do and I understand your logic ( 3 ventilators are cheaper than the consequences of 1* review or cancelation)  ....but  NO, I just can't fertilize such spoiled and entitled behavior. I would tell them if they need more ventilators to go to the shop and buy them and to take them when they leave because I don't have enough storage. And if they don't like it they can cancel their stay and go immediately. I don't care if I would lose super host status and rating but they will get a bad review from me and maybe they will behave the next time.

I wrote a post about a year ago , I think it was early April, when my Australian guests were asking for A/C at 8 PM, on a pefect day, evening sun, light breeze, right after the rain, 21 C outside... I told them no, use the ventilator or just open the windows and they were stunned! "She told us to open the windows !" they wrote in a review 😄 imagine! haha

Haha @Branka-and-Silvia0 I'll let you know when I've finished it!  Hey, maybe I'll release it as a free app called "How's them apples?" just for Airbnb hosts 🙂

... opening the windows?!?!  How very DARE you! 🙂

@Ben551

yes but please make sure guests can't use it as well :)))))))))

@Branka-and-Silvia0Hahaha yeah, I'll make it so that hosts can link their account to it, then register precision requests to pipe from the tool to their listing to send the message at the relevant "ownage" point... bah, I'll have to calculate the delay from my server to the airbnb listing server, which may vary...  plus get the data on their check-in time... challenge accepted 🙂

That's the spirit @Ben551 😄 you can do it! 

Maybe it doesn't have to be fully automated, we can set time and the guest's account manually if it would be easier

Sarah-And-Tom0
Level 5

Thanks for all your help Ben.

Gives us plenty to work with for next time.

Take care

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sarah-And-Tom0

What a nightmare guest! But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE you are harming the system by NOT leaving a review of horrible guests. Reporting them to ABB does nothing to help other hosts who might encounter these unreasonable people.

As hosts, we have to make sure we have each other's backs!

Most of the horrible reviews from guests I've seen just make the guest look crazy, so I wouldn't worry about those too much. Especially if it's one review out of many.