Bellingham WA Short Term Rental Regulation Meeting 1-18-18

Donna276
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

Bellingham WA Short Term Rental Regulation Meeting 1-18-18

Trying to get information out to Bellingham WA area hosts. You may be aware that Bellingham is in the process of regulating short-term rentals. We went to a meeting last night at City Hall and there were very few (I think 3) hosts at the meeting. Some people want to totally prevent short-term rentals in Bellingham. If you want to continue to have short-term rentals in Bellingham, I suggest you attend the next meeting:

I received this from a Senior Planner this morning via email:

Last night the Planning Commission decided to hold another work session on short-term rentals on January 18. The meeting will start at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 210 Lottie Street. The public hearing is still tentatively scheduled for February 15. We will update you if there are changes to the schedule.

Let's keep AirBnB legal in Bellingham. Show up to have your voice heard.

Thanks!

Donna ****

4 Replies 4
Donna276
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

We are having an informal meet up at Brandy Wine at 5:30 pm on Thursday, January 18 BEFORE the next Planning Commission meeting. Please join us if you'd like to meet other hosts in the Bellingham area. I have requested that a Bellingham group be created, but have not heard back from AirBnB yet.

Hope to see you on the 18th.

Denise141
Level 1
Bellingham, WA

Hi Donna- I just shut my Air BnB down, because I am confused about the new ordinance.  I called the City but the woman I spoke with swas curt and said that I was "never" allowed to operate an Air BnB.

Can you share what you have learned?  I am just heart-broken. I have a small MIL in my backyard that I have been hosting Air BnB guests in since 2012 (I love it).  It was also a means for me to help pay my mortgage.  Between the City raising my taxes (a lot) and this new proposed ordinance for seperate on-site structures, I am feeling like I may have to move from my home.

Please let me know how I can be involved. I am available.

Warmly,

Denise

Donna276
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

HI Denise!

I'm sorry to hear that you are going to have to quit being an AirBNB host. Yes, the AirBNB regulations were approved by the council I think in November. If you are NOT in part of the Urban Village, you basically can't rent short term if you have a detached ADU. IF you have an attached ADU, there is a limit to the number of days. The regulations have not gone into affect and right now ALL short term rentals are really 'illegal'. I believe the city is working out how to enforce the regulations, what it will cost to get a permit and how it will all work. They are hiring a firm to help regulate. They said they would go into affect 6 months after they were approved.

I think there have been many hosts who have had to stop hosting or turn their short term rentals into longer term rentals. I'm not sure at this point, what anyone can do. I wish I had something else to tell. you.

Donna

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Donna276

I hope Bellingham hosts can show numbers at the city council meetings.

I can only give you my Seattle experience so you can beware of what may happen.

The City of Seattle put on a great Dog-and-Pony show. They paid for biased studies that "proved" airbnb was the culprit of the housing shortage. They supported groups of under-employed people to beat drums ,  naming the recent deaths of homeless in the street. The impression given was that Airbnb hosts kill people.

The City threatened  a shutdown of Airbnb hosts. Unfortunately, as hosts attention was placed on the drama, the City quietly slipped in a 7% extra tax. 

Increase taxation was always the intention of the City. The taxes are now 21% of my revenue.