Best Cookware for Renters -- advice sought

Answered!
Mark1
Level 3
Denver, CO

Best Cookware for Renters -- advice sought

I have a one bedroom one bath ski condo.  About every other guest actually cooks in it.  I need advice on cookware.

I have been buying cheap non-stick sets of pots and pans (2 small pots, spaghetti pot, 4 pans small to large).  They last about half a year.  Utensils scrape up the teflon coating, things get burned and they never look the same.  Then I buy a whole new set to keep the place nice and provide functional cookware.

I don't mind the expense, but I am wondering if there is a more expensive option I should pursue that would last longer, and be more pleasing to guests.  On the flip side, if a guest can destroy an expensive item it becomes a bit of a liability.  I have never charged against a security deposit.  Things that break and need replacing are cheap and I just count them as normal wear and tear.

I have seen hard anodized sets that are dishwasher and oven safe, but if you look carefully at reviews they do scratch, and it sounds like the dishwashing reduces the overall life span of them.

Has anyone figured this out?  Any thoughts?  

1 Best Answer

We believe in vintage. We like vintage design, we use vintage cookeware and crockery. It takes more time to collect but our guests prefer it and so do we.

We leave a cast iron skillet in each suite (we have two) and finish out the collection with revereware pots and pans, fire king baking dishes and a full set of dishes, serving ware etc. We have everything a guest needs, and probably a lot more. I don't think we spent more than $20. and the quality is excellent.

We used to leave one non-stick skillet for people who were afraid of cast iron but it's unhealthy and it got scratched. One day I realized, "we own this house - we decide what they get. We don't approve of non-stick" so I took it out. Everyone has been perfectly happy with everything ever since (me included.)

Don't be afraid of thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales and the like - you are not a hotel, people expect things to be a bit different in an Airbnb setting. 

I woke up one day and realized what a huge amount of waste our overproduction of stuff causes as a society - it's appalling. We haven't bought a single new piece of cookware, not a single new dish, or anything else of that nature ever since and we're much happier for it. Our furniture is all vintage too and our guests, include some very high profile professionals in the arts, love it. (So do we)

We buy our appliances new, we put in new flooring, a new heating system, a new mattress and box spring and of course linens, towels etc are usually new although if I can find vintage sheets still in the package I will buy them because usually they are better quality than the ones they make now and I can't find patterns that match my decor as well as those that were made in the 1960's.

Fortunately we live in an area that is a bit of a destination for antique hunters so there is a lot of supply but still - everyone has a goodwill or a Restore or a thrift store of some kind, buy vintage. Spend the time and energy to clean it up so it gleams - people will thank you for it.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mark1

good old enamel ?

Deborah270
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have stainess steel which I love & use all the time. I scour them on a regular basis, but it is a lot of "elbow grease".

After my last guests (stayed at my home almost 2 months) you bet the pots & pans ALL needed scouring. And you KNOW renters are

not going to scour a pan. So I decided to put my good cookware away---&  get some cheaper teflon/aluminum cookware,

3-4 pieces for around $25-$35, keep them for as long as possible & then throw out.  

I did not appreciate having to spend hours scouring my nice pots, & you just can't enforce this. 

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I would suggest simply avoiding anything with Teflon. As you discovered, most people don't know how to care for Teflon, especially if it's not theirs. Besides, as someone who loves to cook, the only thing worse than cooking on well maintained Teflon, is trying to cook on poorly maintained Teflon. But that's just me. 

I'd go with a basic stainless steel set. Doesn't need to be fancy. I got the pots and pans for my suite from Ikea over a year ago, and they're still going strong. 

Steve

Stainess steel is great but my point was that they need to be scourd after a rental of a month or more.

This can take a couple of hours. 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I personally use All-Clad stainless and LOVE them, but they are not a wise choice for a rental. If I were doing a whole house, I would pick up a set of Kirkland (Costco brand) stainless pots and keep a can of Barkeepers Friend under the sink. Bar keepers Friend is wonderful on stainless - fast easy work of any stains on the exterior. 

I use and love my cast iron, but seeing as my own family wi my supervision can't seem to care for them properly - no way would I put it in a rental. 

Bar Keeper's Friend cleaner is great, but my renters never use it. That job is left for me--cleaning lady doesn't routinely do this---, & after 30 days of cooking,  this is a 2 hour job I do not look forward to. 😉

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mark1

Stainless steel is the way to go, use can use baking soda, dishwasher detergent, they can go in the dishwasher, will do on any sort of range, they can take metal pan scrubs and wirewool. In other words, they would have to work hard to kill them !

I have had some Ikea stainless steel in my rentals for 10 years - not the cheapest ones, the upper range. The 365+ range I find is the best they have nowadays.  

For non-stick that lasts, you would have to move into the luxury segment, and even those do not last forever.  5-6 years at the most. As I rent my second homes when not in use, I have had and still have some of those - the Scanpan CTX brand.

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Mark1

Interesting ideas coming out. You've already mentioned cost should something break or be stolen, and I'd say this is important. Here in the UK induction hobs are becoming common and not all metal pans will work on them.

Like many others I don't like non-stick, but guests do so having a Teflon frying pan is probably a good idea.

One solution may be, don't let your guests stay so long! Most of our visits are 3-4 days and they eat out the entire time. Crockery and pans are like new!

Cheers.

http://www.thejuzz.com/Nonstick-Cookware/ here are some ideas for nonstick cookware sets.

I prefer stainless steel cookware. Very easy to clean, I normally use bark keepers friend. Sometimes I use dishwasher. I got more idea from http://www.cookwarelab.net/

Now, we just can’t say that one particular model is the “best” for everybody… unlike what some other websites attempt to do. That would be like saying, “These are the Best Frying Pan for everybody. ” Well, if I’m going to a dinner party, I dang sure do not want to be within a pair of mountaineering clothes with my official use.

Are you looking for a best frying pan? Take few second and find out here best skillet from our best non stick pan review guideline. Check this link - https://buybestfryingpan.weebly.com/

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've been using cast iron pans for 50 years and I've never understood the big fuss about "caring for them properly". I have always washed them just like I wash any pots, pans or dishes. I don't just wipe them out or oil them. That seems disgusting to me. Yes, they can get rusty- but there is nothing unhealthy about rust- it's just iron oxide, and a quick wash gets rid of the rust.

As for having to spend time scrubbing out stainless steel- if stuff is really cooked on, put a little water in the bottom of the pot, shake in some Bar Keeper's Friend, let it sit for awhile, and it usually comes off easily. If it's really bad, Easy-off oven cleaner left to sit for awhile will dissolve anything cooked on.

Hi @Mark1 are you still happy with the ikea Polerad SS set? Any complaints about the lids and handles being too hot?  How long before you needed to replace and did you replace with same set?

Thanks!

Jay181
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

The stainless pots don't seem to get that dirty.

But the fry pans, even with lots of scrubbing with barkeepers friend and SOS pads are hard to clean.

Will try the baking soda/soap solution.

We tried a granite fry pan, only granite on the inside (No Teflon?)

The inside cleans up nice, but for some reason the outside got dirty & very hard to clean.

Inside of Granite Pan, 1 year old, cleaned good.Inside of Granite Pan, 1 year old, cleaned good.Backside of pan hard to clean.Backside of pan hard to clean.

Will try one that is granite on both sides & see how it works, something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonderchef-Granite-20Cm-Frying-Pan/dp/B01IVK7DDC

Will update if we try a different one.

My plan is to get a set of well priced cheaper cookware for guests, keep them as clean as possible, get rid of in 6 months. I treasure my nice, personal cookware and really don't want it to be abused by guests.