Blurb about reviews in the house book

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Blurb about reviews in the house book

I am thinking of including some language about reviews in the house book. I remember someone even put an article in theirs. I would like to make it simple but to the point. Something like:

A WORD ABOUT REVIEWS

Airbnb assigns a lot of value to reviews. If I get anything less than five stars from a guest, I am considered a bad host with main consequence of being removed from search (I am grossly simplifying this but I think this is something everyone will understand). I hope I have earned a five star review and if I haven’t, please give me an opportunity to remedy the situation during your stay. I am always available through the app or by phone.

57 Replies 57
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John1574 

And I leave you to scold your Guests. 

You come across as extremely angry with your Guests. A big-big turn off.

Far from scolding, @John1574, but if that is how you see it, so be it. Good luck!

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Alon1  

Again, you have it all wrong.  It's simply business to me. Technique, not anger. 

I am extremely gracious with all my guests, and I give them extremely generous first class service.  I have had almost universally great guests, but some of them are very petty and full of spite, jealousy and resentment.  We read about that every day in this forum. 

I'm sorry that my post got you so upset  that you feel the need to attack me for expressing my opinion on the subject of this thread. 

@Emilia42 I did not mean to refer to you as a scold but rather to answer your question about my concern about future guests booking.  I am not concerned about that.

-

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John1574 

It doesn't upset me. I don't care how you run your business!

All I did is give you feedback on your post and the material that informs it, namely your Responses to your Reviews and your Reviews of your Guests. I read them extensively, and the basic message is very clear:

I do this for you and you MUST appreciate it and MARK ME 5* for absolutely everything. 

*removed content in line with Community Guidelines*

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I feel we are completely off-topic and not supporting @Inna22's original post. I understand tempers have gotten heated between some of you but we can't allow this type of conversation here on the CC. 

The Community Center exists for hosts to support each other, whilst working with the CC guidelines which exist to keep everyone safe and healthy. You can review the guidelines here: Community Guidelines.

I will message each of you regarding this, detailing my actions and why. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch. 

I know all of the contributors in this thread are passionate, intelligent and more than capable of moving past this so we can continue to have a lively, but healthy, time here on the CC.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

Hi @Stephanie @Inna22 , 

Thanks, Stephanie for stepping in and moderating, and Inna, I'm sorry your thread took a left turn once the attacks on me began.

I guess some folks can't grasp the concept of "let's agree to disagree" and  move on. 

I wish everyone who was reading the thread good luck in devising a strategy to handle the odious Airbnb review process.

My method works for me because my place is a five-star in every category place and that cannot really be argued in any rational manner -- but it may not work for everyone as you must be confident, self-assured,  business–savvy and be able to eloquently state your position  in writing.

I did not share the actual messages I send to my guests before they arrive and after they depart, but they are beautifully and  eloquently written, compassionate, clear and concise.  These messages are the key to my method working. 

But it is not for everyone and it won't work for everyone.  But the general concept is sound:  it's a business, control your business, run your business your way, don't let anyone run roughshod over your business through flawed policies and flaky people.  

Thankfully most of our guests are superb.  The petty ones that do run afoul of my new Airbnb review policy probably won't be deducting stars the next time they stay in an AirBnb because they may have learned a valuable lesson. 

Reviews have consequences. 

Adieu

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Inna22 @Jim472 @Kira32 @Marta876 @Alon1

There is the right way to ask guest for a nice review and there is the wrong way. Asking is not a bad thing actually, it depends on your approach. I stopped asking by messages and have now inserted into my house book at the last page. I used a bit of humor at the beginning to not sound aggressive in my approach.

Ofcourse this will only work if you offer a very good experience which I do, full level of luxury however I still get 1 in 10 guests who leave me a 4 star for various absurd reasons of which are usually not in my control. This is what I have written, feel free to use it if you feel it is good for your purposes. For your reference, this is the listing I use the below for. https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/36105585?s=67&shared_item_type=1&virality_entry_point=1&sharer_id=561185...

REVIEW SYSTEM *****

If you made it this far in our house book, I applaud your patience! You might as well finish reading the rest of it. If you feel you have ran out of things to read, we have that covered. There are some novels and reading material on our shelves although they may not be as interesting  J  

A lot of effort has gone into our guest house. We selected the furnishings and designed the bathroom and kitchen to mirror what we would like in an accomodation as travellers ourselves. We hope our selections are well received and highlighted in your reviews.  

The reviews our guests leave for us are critical to our listing. They are essential for us to remain visible on the booking platform. While we hope we provided every possible comfort to our guests, there is always a possibility that we may have missed something. If this is the case during your stay, please send me a private message so that I can address it.

On platforms such as airbnb and homeaway, any rating below a 5 is considered below standard. While a 4 star rating for a hotel is considered decent, it is considered very poor on these platforms which judges any ratings less than a 5 rather harshly.

At the end of your stay, we would highly appreciate an overall 5 star rating. It only takes 30 seconds to write. However, if you feel we do not deserve a 5, please do not leave a review. Kindly let us know privately what we can do better to earn your 5 star rating next time around.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean433  IMO most of your message to guests is fine, but the last part rubs me the wrong way- asking guests to please not leave a review if they aren't going to rate 5 stars. If I were a guest, that would offend me.

And small thing, but grammar police here 🙂 First paragraph- "If you feel you have ran out things to read...." It's Have run, not Have ran.

@Sarah977 

Thanks for the suggestion, what do you think of this instead? Yes I am aware of the spelling mistake on the second sentence. Too lazy to do another snap shot and attach it here but you get the picture

review.JPG

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean433  Much better, IMO. I just know I'd find it a bit off if a guest asked me not to write a review if I was going to give them less than 5 stars, so I assume that it would feel the same the other way round.

And I imagine it was a typo, but now it says "raun" 🙂

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

@Sean433 

OMG!  Sean, you have just been scolded!  

Congratulations.  

****[Content hidden]

We all understand how you're trying to contribute to this vexing problem.  Thanks. 

Your technique is excellent. Not one darn thing wrong with it.  

****[Content hidden]

Both you and Anne have made a valuable  contribution to this onerous problem of petty reviews  and I, for one, thank you. 

*[Inappropriate content hidden above inline with the Community Center Guidelines]

@John1574 I bet that @Sean433 doesn't in any way feel scolded. I'm sure he appreciate different opinions. ****[Content hidden] It is horrible to read such  a nasty message! 

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Sandra856 

-

You just scolded me. That . . . is horrible. 

You are welcome to speak for yourself, but I don't understand why you try to speak for others.  I strongly disagree with you.

You insult me by telling me to act like a grown-up:   Is that not scolding? Why don't you tell me to chill, relax, and not take things so seriously. lol

Do you know what, LOL means.

Chill, relax and don't take things so seriously. Lol

I'm not joking.

*[Inappropriate content hidden above inline with the Community Center Guidelines]